⚠️ This position is a prospective one. We don't currently have an open spot, but are doing conversations and interviews in hopes that we have pre-screened people that we can more rapidly hire when client work pops up and we have room to hire.
We're a coalition of digital gov alums that helps people by delivering digital services and strategies for governments and progressive organizations. We're product managers, UX designers and researchers, content strategists and writers, software engineers and strategists, and more.
Current and recent projects with our clients involve: replacing legacy state unemployment insurance systems, helping people find licensed mental health and substance abuse providers, making plain-language web content to help people get services, conducting discovery sprints for modernizing government digital services and processes, and strengthening and streamlining foster care systems.
We are looking for a Tech Strategist to work on a cross-functional team to conduct research and co-create strategic guidance with our clients.
In this role, you will:
- Interview clients, stakeholders, and users to learn the context that software, services, and processes exist
- Present and document strategic recommendations for improvements that meet clients where they're at
- Create and run processes for operating software, both manual and automated ones
- Facilitate grounded security conversations and recommend usable paradigms, tools, and processes to keep users and clients safe
- Coordinate responses to short or longer running incidents or systemic failures
- Gracefully and reliably handoff work to clients and other team members to continue
- Roll-up your sleeves to make services better, even though sometimes that doesn't involve focusing on technology
What we're looking for:
- Experience writing, shipping, and operating code and technical infrastructure
- Ability to understand complex systems, whether that's people processes or software integrations
- An outcome and user-centered orientation to solving challenges and improving systems
- Team players that co-creates and brings along team members, partners, and clients that may have different backgrounds and expertise
- Strong technical foundation that allows flexibility on tech stack and learning new things
- Willingness to step into different roles in order to get the job done and initiative to deliver iteratively (code or otherwise)
- Integration of Bloom's values into work methods
- An understanding of (even if not an expert in all): frontend development, backend development, software integration (i.e. APIs), computer networking and infrastructure, Linux, computer hardware basics (i.e. RAM, disk, processors, threading, etc.), version control, English language (written and spoken) and plain language writing
- $155,000 USD for full-time on-staff employment, or
- Negotiable contract rate for shorter term engagements
- An environment that empowers you to apply your skills and experience for the public good
- Remote/distributed work environment
- Dental & vision
- Life insurance
- $1k USD tech equipment stipend
- ST/LT disability
- Retirement savings
- 10 paid flex holidays
- 15 vacation days
- 10 sick days
- Company closures between Christmas and New Years
- $2k USD professional development stipend
About Our Team
We envision a world that is made more equitable through better digital public services. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) is woven into everything we do, from our company’s strategy to the makeup of our team, to the work we take on. As a public interest technology company, we see diversity and equity-building as integral to both our mission and our research practices.
We are committed to disrupting power dynamics and equity barriers in our work. We recruit employees and partners who reflect the demographics of targeted end users, and we analyze, test, and iterate to make sure everyone can easily access and use the digital tools we build. As a public benefit company, we are compelled to generate social and public good, and to operate in a responsible and sustainable manner.
We look forward to hearing from you!
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.
Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.