Director of Content Design & Strategy
We're a coalition of digital gov alums that helps people by delivering digital services and strategies for governments and progressive organizations. We're product managers, UX designers and researchers, content strategists and writers, software engineers, strategists, and more.
Current and recent projects with our clients involve: replacing legacy state unemployment insurance systems, helping people find licensed mental health and substance abuse providers, making plain-language web content to help veterans get benefits, conducting discovery sprints for modernizing government digital services and processes, and strengthening and streamlining foster care systems.
We’re looking for an engagement manager to work closely with our clients and teams to design and deliver on our project work and build impact within the broader context of public interest technology. We believe that our partnerships are core to making services discoverable and useful. We want someone who can work tightly with Product and Delivery Managers, our operations team, Bloom’s leadership and Directors, and subject matter experts to deliver transformative work for our government and nonprofit partners.
In this role, you will
Shape the work Partner with Bloom’s clients to take engagements from amorphous origins to project kickoff by building the team, defining our approach, identifying deliverables, and aligning the team around that plan. You will:
- Advise and coach clients, and help translate what they want to accomplish into projects, teams, and budgets
- Set up statements of work (SOWs), draft contractor agreements and teaming agreements
- Staff teams when needed as it relates to your projects, with support from our operations and people team
- Clarify and communicate project risks and partnership expectations
- Write project briefs and initial documentation for onboarding the team and client
- Provide clarity and context for the team to find a clear path forward despite ambiguity
- Uphold and improve upon Bloom’s mission and values to our partners and in the spaces that we work, especially as needs and circumstances change
- Be an informed thought partner to our clients and team, meeting them where they're at
- Ensure that subcontractor team members are familiar with and use Blooms norms, delivery methods, and values in the work
Support project delivery
Once work is underway, you’ll play a crucial role in supporting the team and liaising with the client through its completion. You’ll serve as the ultimate owner of all project deliverables while partnering with the Product and Delivery Manager on the execution of the project plan, content, format, and storytelling. You will:
- Review deliverables early and often, provide input and guidance based on the larger picture of the engagement
- Manage staffing as it relates to your project work, collaborating with practice area directors and other engagement managers to ensure you have the right skillsets and capacity on your project team
- Manage project budgets, tracking hourly “burn” and projections
- Participate in project retrospectives, identify ways we can more effectively plan and efficiently use our time and resources
- Where possible, create templates and reusable documentation that will lower the lift next time around
- When needed, provide status updates to the team and stakeholders
- Attend key project meetings, including weekly client syncs, project kick offs, or other major project milestones
- Connect practices and approaches used in other contexts across projects and teams
- Provide thought partnership to the Product and Delivery Manager and team, reviewing new information or project complexities together to inform changes to the project scope, plan, or deliverables
- Communicate strategic decisions clearly, citing clear benefits and drawbacks to foster alignment and a culture of transparency
- Work with practice area directors to mentor members of the team, providing regular feedback and professional development support.
- Support a strong and inclusive team culture on project teams. When culture problems arise that can't be addressed directly, escalate to directors for help.
Grow Bloom’s impact with existing clients
Pull up from project work to look broadly at how Bloom’s strengths might support our clients in delivering better outcomes. Work with the business development team to bring in new work and create new opportunities in the context of a constantly changing Public Interest Technology landscape. Participate in ongoing talent recruitment as it supports our scoped work. You will:
- Scope in-bound referral work, follow-on work, including building project budgets
- Meet with current and future clients and seek to build relationships that go beyond individual engagements by seeking eek to understand their capacity, organizational constraints, and aspirations for their services and products, and work to connect them, support them, or offer advice
- Connect the dots and find ways to deliver value from our portfolio of work and knowledge of the Public Interest Technology landscape. Plan follow-on work based on the client’s needs.
- Own and/or support specific program areas in our portfolio, and find, shape, and deliver impactful work in those spaces
We’re looking for
- Experience consulting and/or managing high stakes client relationships on digital and/or government service projects
- A background running and/or contributing as a designer and/or researcher
- A relationship builder who enjoys learning about and working with a variety of people and functions
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- A problem-solving approach
- Experience managing multiple projects, meet deadlines under pressure, and collaborate with a distributed team
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a calm, measured approach in the context of a rapid flow of communication and a quickly changing environment
- Experience working in an agile, iterative way, and a good command of building, assessing, and delivering technology
- A demonstrated ability to give, receive, and make improvements based on feedback
- Familiarity with writing contracts and managing budgets
$150,000 USD annual salary for full-time staff
- An environment that empowers you to apply your skills and experience for the public good
- Remote/distributed work environment
- Dental & vision
- Life insurance
- $1k USD tech equipment stipend
- $2k USD professional development stipend
- ST/LT disability
- Retirement savings
- 10 paid flex holidays
- 15 vacation days
- 10 sick days
- Company closures between Christmas and New Years
Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
About Our Team
We envision a world that is made more equitable through better digital public services. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) is woven into everything we do, from our company’s strategy to the makeup of our team, to the work we take on. As a public interest technology company, we see diversity and equity-building as integral to both our mission and our research practices.
We are committed to disrupting power dynamics and equity barriers in our work. We recruit employees and partners who reflect the demographics of targeted end users, and we analyze, test, and iterate to make sure everyone can easily access and use the digital tools we build. As a public benefit company, we are compelled to generate social and public good, and to operate in a responsible and sustainable manner.
We look forward to hearing from you!
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.
If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment.
Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.