Plain Language Editor and Content Strategist
Our mission is to create human-centered services. We partner with governments and mission-driven organizations to design and build digital services that improve people’s lives. We help our partners build internal, sustainable capacity to transform how they engage constituents.
We’re looking for an experienced content strategist to join us in delivering clear and welcoming products and services. We know that content is core to making services discoverable and useful. We want someone who can work tightly with subject matter experts, UX researchers, and developers to distill highly complex processes into accessible information.
We’re a fully remote team, and we’re deliberate about building a positive team culture in a distributed context. We also value in-person meet ups when it’s safe to do so (usually about once a year).
In this role, you will
- Work with a cross-functional team to design, write, and edit content to help people navigate government services. This includes redesigning website content, de-jargonizing complicated information or processes, and generally demonstrating the benefits of plain language writing — inside and outside of Bloom.
- Manage relationships with clients and stakeholders, including assessing requests for changes to content. Gather information to make content recommendations and explain the rationale for decisions.
- Develop content style guides and governance documents that consider the ways different pieces of content will work together across a platform — and that draw on user research to meet the specific needs of our partners’ audiences.
- Use tools like website analytics and user research to organize content in ways that meet audiences’ expectations and information-seeking patterns. Guide partners in using these tools (e.g., provide guidance to perform a content audit).
- Identify and recommend effective information architecture to help users find what they need and accomplish tasks. Make content design decisions to improve findability and keep users from getting lost.
- Make sense of messes, whether they’re bureaucratic, human, or grammatical. Choose the right tools — audits, inventories, sitemaps, etc. — to make even the most complex content approachable (for yourself, clients, and end users).
- Coach and learn from other members of the Bloom content team.
- Incorporate diverse perspectives from a variety of user groups and stakeholders.
- Work in a self-directed way — you’ll collaborate with others on the team but will often be the only content specialist on any given project.
- Be willing to move forward despite ambiguity — we don't always have a roadmap.
We’re looking for
- At least 5 years of experience designing clear, concise, and compelling web content
- Experience navigating complex stakeholder relationships
- A passion for finding simplicity in complex information
- A demonstrated ability to research a topic to write clear and accurate plain language content
- Experience developing effective information architecture for complex sites, or organizing sprawling information in a user-centered way
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- A relationship builder who enjoys learning about and working with a variety of people and functions
- An analytical and creative thinker who’s solution-oriented
- The ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines under pressure, and collaborate with a distributed team
- Experience working in an agile, iterative way
- A demonstrated ability to give, receive, and make improvements based on feedback
- A positive attitude and a sense of humor
$90,000–$105,000 depending on experience. We’re also open to independent contractor arrangements.
- An environment that empowers you to apply your skills and experience for the public good
- Fully distributed (remote-first) work environment
- Dental & vision
- Life insurance
- PTO, holidays, and sick leave
- Tech equipment stipend
- Professional Development stipend
- ST/LT disability
How to apply
Does this role sound exciting to you? Great! To apply, please enter your information and upload your resume here. (or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
More about our team, and commitment to building a diverse workforce
We envision a world that is made more equitable through better digital public services. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) is woven into everything we do, from our company’s strategy to the makeup of our team, to the work we take on. As a public interest technology company, we see diversity and equity-building as integral to both our mission and our research practices.
We are committed to disrupting power dynamics and equity barriers in our work. We recruit employees and partners who reflect the demographics of targeted end users, and we analyze, test, and iterate to make sure everyone can easily access and use the digital tools we build. As a public benefit company, we are compelled to generate social and public good, and to operate in a responsible and sustainable manner.
We look forward to hearing from you!