VP, Strategic Communications
What to know
In this role, you’ll develop impactful communications strategies for a client base that spans leading charities, advocacy organizations, and brands – including Blue State itself. You’ll translate their mission and objectives into narratives and strategies that reach new audiences and give a platform to their issues. You’ll be a close partner to key clients, help land dream clients, and help Blue State deliver the best possible outcome, working closely with colleagues across disciplines, including our Content & Campaigns team, Strategy and Creative Directors, and Partnerships team.
The ideal candidate is a master storyteller and communicator who can build a brand and craft engaging content across various mediums and who operates at the intersection of marketing and journalism, communications and politics. This entrepreneurial candidate is a strong individual contributor but also ready to expand Blue State’s campabilities with a new communications practice.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Oxfam, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in the US and London.
A day in the life
- Help clients think strategically about their communications, craft exceptional content experiences, and develop their voice.
- Work with our Strategy Team to create insights and approaches that shape clients’ programs; clearly articulate these content strategies.
- Develop press relationships for media opportunities and oversee/create assets including press releases, collateral, events, and other supporting materials. Develop contacts with key influencers and community leaders.
- Develop and oversee integrated campaigns that leverage public affairs, media and digital tactics to reach key audiences and achieve client goalsChart a path for a new communications practice at Blue State, expand our current partnerships, develop and hire communications staff, and contribute to growth of the agency.
- Play a key, senior, supporting role in new business and upsells, as a leading representative of Blue State’s philosophy and experience. Develop and articulate unique creative and strategic approaches.
- Contribute to marketing and business development by identifying, developing, and conveying case studies and thought leadership.
- Represent Blue State at pitches, conferences, and events. Act as expert on issues -- for Blue State itself, with clients, and with media/public.
- Tell the Blue State story.
- Partner with our director of content and agency leaders to develop a communications strategy and create compelling content about Blue State’s mission, culture, clients, work, and more.
- Develop a unique point of view for our target audiences.
- Execute communications to drive positive coverage.
- Manage Blue State’s PR. Field inbound inquiries, proactively develop stories with national media and trade press and manage teams to execute project deliverables
- Collaborate with external specialty firms as needed to bring their services to bear for our clients.
We are a passionate group of people who are both thinkers and doers. We bring a people-first, data-driven mindset to all of our work. Ultimately, we’re about real impact for real people, partnering with brands, nonprofits, and political organizations to drive progress.
For us, this isn’t just work. Everything we do is connected to something we care about and we’re seeking an individual willing to work tirelessly to create positive change in the world.
What we offer
- Unlimited time-off (inclusive of sick, personal, and vacation days)
- $1,000 annually in professional development funds
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Inclusive family planning coverage, including fertility, surrogacy, and adoption benefits
- Flexible and health savings accounts
- 401K & employer match
- Generous paid holiday schedule
- 12-week fully-paid parental leave for all parents-to-be
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Remote work flexibility
We approach in-office working with a hybrid model. On-site presence is welcome for US staff who are within commuting distance of the NY or DC office. Managers retain discretion to require in-person attendance for folks on their discipline or client teams as necessary, including for those whose roles require them to be in person. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
The salary range for this position is $120,000-$180,000; compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Some things we're looking for
- 15+ years agency and/or campaigning experience
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills -- able to explain the reasons behind a particular strategic or creative approach, and guide clients through difficult decision points
- Demonstrates good judgment
- Highly skilled at writing, pitching, and cultivating media/influencer relationships
- Familiarity with social media platforms and social media marketing
- Strong collaborator and relationship builder
- Willing to fight for good ideas, but always a team player
- Humble in victory, constructive in defeat
- Self-starter, driven, focused, eager, ability to think on feet
- Develops clear plans but operates with a tolerance for ambiguity
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is committed to creating an inclusive and accessible application and interview process. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a disability, please contact us at email@example.com with the subject line: Accommodation Request to get started.