Community Engagement Specialist (Part-Time)
About Bluebonnet Data
Founded in 2018 as the first volunteer data team for Beto O’Rourke’s US Senate campaign, Bluebonnet Data is a woman-led organization focused on building people power in the progressive movement. We do this by recruiting, training, and organizing the next generation of tech-savvy talent for campaigns, nonprofits, parties, and other organizations in the Democratic ecosystem. We are dynamic individuals who will transform the Party for the modern era.
About the Community Engagement Specialist:
Bluebonnet Data is seeking a part-time, temporary Community Engagement Specialist to support progressive campaigns and causes. The Community Engagement Specialist will help recruit fellows and the clients they’ll be working with as well as build community and excitement within our network.
Fellow Recruitment & Intake (34%)
- Engage recruitment partners, including colleges & universities (with an emphasis on HBCUs, HSIs, Women’s Colleges, and Community Colleges), and partner organizations to promote Bluebonnet Data’s fellowships and create a pipeline to the program.
- Conduct interviews with prospective fellows and work with staff to determine admission to the fellowship programs.
Client Recruitment & Intake (33%)
- Research potential clients in priority states: Find candidates running for office and organizations that match our values, and would benefit from our program’s offerings. Help manage data entry to update Bluebonnet Data’s client database.
- Host intake calls with prospective clients and work with Bluebonnet staff to onboard new clients.
Community Engagement (33%)
- Check in with fellows to talk about their experiences, capture stories, and flag potential areas for support.
- Regularly engage fellows in Slack channels, fostering conversation (a big plus if you like sharing memes).
- Assist the Operations Manager in creating and distributing Bluebonnet’s weekly newsletter.
- Collaborate with the Bluebonnet staff to host events that help fellows find mentors, learn about different career opportunities, and more.
Required Skills and Experiences
Even if you don't have these exact qualifications but think you'd be a good addition to our team, we still encourage you to apply!
- Organizing skills Experience interacting with digital communities (Slack, social media, etc). Experience supporting or leading community events or programs. Experience managing relationships in a professional or academic setting. Enthusiasm for building relationships and communities and fostering connections.
- Strong communication skills Able to manage multiple internal and external relationships. Ability to learn and speak on new subject matter quickly to a broad audience Excellence in written and verbal communication. Able to approach teamwork with a constructive mindset.
- Familiarity with political campaigning: Experience doing technical or data work within a political campaign setting– experience with organizing and/or other campaign activities is a plus.
- Strategic leadership and agility Able to think big-picture and able to break those large goals into smaller, actionable steps. Observe and anticipate problem areas and approach them with a solution-oriented mindset. Able to think critically and challenge norms.
We'd also love it if you...
- Care about Democratic causes and mobilizing people power, especially amongst young people, in the progressive movement.
- Are interested in working in a startup-type environment, helping build and shape our organization to adapt to a changing political climate.
- Hold a strong commitment to social, gender, and racial justice in all aspects of your work.
- Are a great coworker who will enjoy Google Meet chats, event planning, and the occasional team retreat trip when COVID permits.
- Are curious and enthusiastic about your work!
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion:
Bluebonnet Data provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Bluebonnet strives to foster diversity, equity, and inclusivity among employees, fellows, and partners, creating a team environment that prioritizes mutual respect and fair treatment. We expect all community members to make a commitment to inclusivity and in addition to respectful discourse, to treat fellows equally and without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, or other identities.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits:
This is a part-time (20 hours/week), seasonal position, with a start date between July 15 and August 1st, and an end date between November 15 or November 30, depending on the start date. We are offering a stipend of $2,000 a month with a health insurance reimbursement stipend.
Bluebonnet Data is a remote organization, but team members currently work between Boston (MA), Austin (TX), Dallas (TX), and Washington DC.
Bluebonnet Data is not able to provide visa sponsorship at this time.