Run the Future Head of Product Management
Run the Future offers identity-affirming, high impact entrepreneurial learning experiences, focused on BIPOC youth and young adults. Run the Future is evolving from a hybrid learning experience, which includes online learning content, virtual instruction, and in-person learning sessions, into a scalable blended learning product that can reach 10,000 learners by 2024. We are seeking an experienced Product leader who can lead the team that will build this vision into a world-changing learning product. Run the Future is a nonprofit social venture, developed through a partnership between Formation Ventures and Cambiar Education.
Cambiar Education believes that every person holds great potential to make a transformative difference in the world. We partner with leaders, including youth leaders, and communities to research, design, and launch game-changing solutions to our greatest challenges. Our curiosity and eternal optimism help us to see problems as opportunities and to approach challenges with a model that will create lasting change.
Formation Ventures’ mission is to accelerate emerging Black entrepreneurs as they explore, connect, launch, and grow their visions into wealth-building ventures. We do this through learning and exposure, incubation, and funding opportunities designed with and for Black 16-26 year olds. Our vision is that emerging Black entrepreneurs thrive within a supportive community that offers fun yet rigorous developmental experiences to help them grow their ventures. They have the resources and connections necessary to build their dreams and design a new future for themselves and their communities.
The Head of Product Management is a new critical senior role at Run the Future which will lead our growing product team. The person in this role will oversee product strategy and design, impact alignment, and execution of our product development and learning cycles.
- Define and drive the strategy, roadmap, and day-to-day execution for Run the Future’s blended learning product (and potentially other future products), in alignment with the vision set by Run the Future’s co-CEOs
- Define product requirements to bring our product and student experience to scale at lightning speed
- Clearly prioritize product goals, create focus, and manage to ambitious outcomes through strong project planning and systems building
- Model Cambiar’s CREATE process, especially to prototype, test, and iterate frequently
- Make smart resource allocation decisions based on product priorities and budget
- Build the product flexibly and scalably, leveraging off-the-shelf technology whenever possible
- Deeply understand student and customer needs, then design and build solutions to meet those needs, create impact and reinforce the product’s unique value
- Create metrics and dashboards aligned with organizational vision to monitor progress
- Nurture and shape product team culture and capability as we grow
- Manage and coach Product Manager and Product Designe
- In the longer-term, build team from two to a larger high-performing team
- Build rapid learning cycles for product iteration and team insights/learning
- Mentor cross-functional team members on Product development approaches and rapid learning cycles
- Partner with Run the Future’s founders to identify new product and channel opportunities, drive strategic initiatives across the company as needed, and take ownership of any major blocker to the company’s success
Experience Requirements - You Have:
- 7+ years of product management experience, including owning a major product line or company initiative, preferably with online learning and/or game products
- 5+ years of instructional design experience, including a proven track record of using data, user feedback and intuition to drive sound product decisions
- Led all elements of the product development life-cycle (e.g. defining product vision, go-to-market strategy, launch)
- Senior level experience with high growth companies, finding product-market fit for Ed Tech products and bringing them from $0 to $10M++ in revenue in a short period of time
- Managed teams of Product Managers and Product Designers to achieve ambitious goals, and enjoy managing and coaching people to accomplish their best work
- Built high performing product teams from the ground up, including recruiting talented team members and defining what successful product management looks like across the team
This Job Might Be For You If You:
- Are comfortable working exceptionally fast in an ambiguous work environment, and can fluidly navigate the tension between getting deliverables out on time vs getting them out with the highest quality
- Love the startup phase - with all the excitement, challenge, and hard work that come with it - and bring an ownership mindset to all of your work
- Have developed strong product intuition and design sense - you notice the small things alongside the big things
- Like to toggle from strategic thinking to execution-level tasks
- Are able to strategically prioritize the most impactful work
- Have fluency in product analytics tools
- Communicate exceptionally clearly and with quick turnaround at all levels, and across stakeholders who vary from our Gen Z end users to engineers to our non-technical team, through both written and verbal means
- Are passionate about entrepreneurship, and about supporting BIPOC and youth entrepreneurs
- Go out of your way to coach, support, seek feedback, and collaborate with your teammates
This Job Might Not Be For You If You:
- Are status conscious, hierarchy-driven, or resume/credential-focused
- Struggle to give or receive feedback or engage in healthy dialogue
- Don’t want to build alongside young people in leadership roles
- Experience with using AI to support learners/learning outcomes
- 5+ years of experience working remotely with team members across different time zones
- Proximate lived experience with our target audience(s) of learners
Location, Hours, and Travel Requirements
This position is designed to be remote/virtual, as Formation Ventures and Cambiar have team members based throughout the country. Regular working hours are 8am-6pm in employees’ home time zones, however, as an early-stage startup we expect occasional evening or weekend work time to be necessary in order to meet our goals. This position will require up to 15% travel / 6 weeks per year to attend team retreats and meet in person with team members for working sessions.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time role, with a pay rate of $150,000-200,000 annually depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage, participation in a 401K plan with employer contribution, life insurance coverage, PTO and paid holidays, as well as paid parental leave.
Formation Ventures and Cambiar Education are equal opportunity employers.