Chief Operating Officer
The Carolina Federation and its affiliated LLC, C3 and PAC bring people together across race to build a new political majority in North Carolina. Rooted in a culture of belonging, we are building a movement strong enough to win elections and wield governing power in our state. Our work combines the best of Southern freedom traditions: deep base-building, transformative cultural work, power-building issue campaigns, and large-scale voter organizing.
In just five years our chapter-based organization has grown to become the second largest voter engagement operation in our state. But we are equally proud to be known for the depth of our leadership development, our democratic endorsement processes, and the governance of the organization by elected member leaders.
About the Role
As a key member of the Executive Team alongside the Co-Executive Directors and the Chief of Programs, the COO plays a critical leadership role in both day-to-day operations and setting long-term strategy development and implementation. The COO directly manages the financial, administrative, risk management, facilities, and compliance functions of the organization and reports directly to Co-Executive Director Sendolo Diaminah.
The COO will be the head of the Operations Department and will supervise the Fundraising Director and Operations Coordinator, as well as managing accountants, lawyers, and operations contractors.
As we prepare for a major political battle in 2024 we’re looking for a full-time Chief Operating Officer (COO) who will help us build power for working class people and communities of color by taking our internal systems and Operations Team from ‘scrappy and emergent’ to ‘institutional excellence’.
Benefits and Compensation
This is a permanent, full-time, exempt, management-level position. The salary range is $92,000-$105,000 annualized, based on experience.
- 100% Employer-paid premium for health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), life insurance, short and long-term disability
- 3% Guaranteed employer contribution to retirement after 6 months of employment
- Generous holidays as well as flexible paid time off
- $700 Technology allowance for new employees
- 3 Months full-pay parental leave
This position will be based in North Carolina, with a preference for the Triangle or Triad areas but we are open to other locations in the state. We offer a stipend to cover in-state or out-of-state relocation expenses.
Our Operations Staff work in a hybrid manner: primarily remotely but with some monthly in-person staff meetings and member events.
- Multi-Entity Management & Compliance (50%)
- Oversee financial relationship between LLC, C3, C4, and PAC entities, including activity thresholds as well as resource reimbursement between entities
- Manage external accountants and oversee all accounts, ledgers, financial software, and reporting systems
- Coordinate and ensure timely and accurate completion of all required government filings for each entity including: (a) tax filings, (b) insurance coverage, (c) licenses, and (d) audits
- Oversee timely and accurate filing of all campaign finance reports (state and local), including management of consultants assigned to this work
- Organizational Leadership & Governance Support (30%)
- Participate as a member of the Executive Team to provide strategic analysis concerning financial planning, budgeting, and cash flow, staff benefits, and operational policy matters
- Provide key monthly financial reporting to the Executive Team, serve as liaison to boards and audit committees concerning the financial health of the organizations
- Lead collaborative budgeting process across organizations, based on input of staff and elected member leaders
- Standardize our recruitment, interview, and hiring processes across our affiliated organizations and departments
- Oversight of Operations Staff, Fundraising Staff & Contractors (20%)
- Recruit, develop, and supervise high-performing Operations Team personnel
- Supervise the Fundraising Director to ensure the success of the FundraisingTeam and the management of grant budgeting, progress to goals, recordkeeping,and reporting requirements
- Regular interface with lawyers and other experts on core operating and legalquestions for the organizations
There are a number of areas that the COO will contribute but will not play the leading role. These include:
- Organizational Culture & Staff Development: The Co-Executive Directors lead the organization’s staff culture and staff development work. However, the COO and the Chief of Programs are both key partners in the design and implementation of this work.
- Program Staff Hiring: The COO leads the organization in the design and management of hiring processes. However, the Chief of Programs is the person responsible for driving and making hiring decisions for the Program Department.
Essential Professional Competencies
Candidates from all sectors and professional backgrounds will be considered, however, demonstrated competence in the following areas are the foundation for success in this position:
- Financial Fluency: The majority of our finance work is handled through an external firm, but the COO is responsible for oversight of this work and must have familiarity and comfort with financial management. The ideal candidate will have three or more years of experience with director-level financial responsibilities, will have managed budgets of at least $1 million dollars, and will have experience managing sophisticated grant management processes.
- Operational & Administrative Leadership: We are looking for a COO with experience bringing clarity and reliability to organizational processes in complex environments with multiple and diverse stakeholders including executive staff, elected board and chapter leadership, and junior and senior staff.
- Multi-Entity Management: Successful candidates will have experience in complex financial or operational leadership roles with multi-entity organizations. Familiarity with C3 and C4 organizations is essential, while experience with PACs and corporate entities is ideal.
Essential Personal Qualities
In addition to the core competencies listed above, successful candidates will also demonstrate the following:
- Commitment to the Carolina Federation’s DNA: You believe that building power through elections, issue campaigns, and transformative organizing is essential. You are convinced that racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice are what we need and you lift up the leadership and dignity of the working-class people and people of color. You feel inspired by and align powerfully with all nine of our DNA principles.
- Rigor, Responsibility & Excellence: Meticulous about details and passionate about delivering on promises, our ideal candidate generates clarity and trust by communicating expectations, defining roles, and reinforcing agreements. They hold themselves and their comrades to high standards as an act of care and commitment, creating a culture of excellence above and beyond mere compliance.
- Strategic Thinking and Problem Solving: The COO must be comfortable anticipating problems and developing proactive solutions, particularly when there may be no available precedents, guidelines, or policies. Rather, than getting paralyzed by uncertainty or complexity, we are looking for someone who reaches out to teammates, mentors, and comrades to come up with strategic and sustainable ways to tackle challenges and learn through action.
- Effective Communicator & Collaborator: Our ideal candidate is a model of collaborative leadership and inspires others to work together to achieve a common purpose. They demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively with members and staff who may not have a background in finance, operations, or compliance.
To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Chief Operating Officer Application”The Carolina Federation is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all, and strongly encourage women, people of color, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQ community to apply. We emphasize skill and culture fit and do not require formal education. We encourage you to submit your application if this job excites you!Interviews will take place on a rolling basis with an ideal start date between December 2023 and January 2024. However, the position will remain open until filled.