For over 15 years, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data, software, and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. active in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant and growing progressive community.
The Catalist Analytics department supports data-driven progressive organizations that boost civic participation and run successful electoral programs. We develop new statistical methods for solving unique problems associated with systematic missing data, latent variable detection, supervised modeling, and unsupervised modeling.
Data Scientists play a critical role on the Analytics team by supporting the design, testing, and application of new strategies for understanding and predicting voter behavior at the individual and aggregate level. Tools and methods developed by the Data Science team enhance not only the broader efforts of the Analytics department, but directly support the practical work of our clients and partners.
Data Scientists are provided with opportunities for mentorship from senior analytics and technical staff both inside Catalist and through our partnerships across the community and academia.
The salary range for this position will be $73,000 - $85,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
This position is included in our CWA bargaining unit.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Expertly leverage Catalist’s data resources to provide predictive analysis tools and solutions to Catalist partners and clients
- Design and execute high priority data science projects, from planning to evaluation and deployment
- Collaborate on and communicate scientific and methodological solutions with other data scientists and across the Analytics team
- Provide quality control to ensure Analytics deliverables are presented accurately and precisely
- Other duties as needed
- Demonstrated experience in creating predictive models or other data science products for use in political program
- Well versed in statistical concepts such as regression analysis, statistical and Bayesian inference, and probabilities
- Familiarity with Catalist data, progressive political needs, voter files, and/or commercial databases
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Proficiency in Python or R
- Highly motivated, curious, and collaborative
- Strong problem-solving skills and a demonstrated capacity to thrive in evolving environments
- Background check required
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in political science, social/ behavioral science, economics, statistics, or related field
- Knowledge of the principles of experimental design and/or survey research
- Experience with BigQuery, Airflow, and version control tools such as Git
Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription Drug
Catalist offers Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription Drug coverage for eligible staff and their eligible dependents. Catalist’s Medical plan is a comprehensive PPO program including Prescription Drug coverage with 85% of the premium paid by Catalist. Dental and Vision coverage is provided at no cost to employees.
Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term & Short-Term Disability Coverage
Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term and Short-Term Disability coverage is available for eligible staff. These benefits are provided at no cost to Catalist employees.
401(k) Safe Harbor Plan
A 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan is available to eligible staff with a 3% contribution from Catalist from the date of hire. Employees may contribute pre-tax or post-tax from their salary up to the legal limits set forth by the IRS.
Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
Catalist offers an FSA Program that gives eligible staff the ability to pay out-of-pocket medical/dental/vision/child care expenses from pre-tax earnings.
Catalist also makes available a Transit benefit FSA program to eligible employees using pre-tax contributions with a company match.
Professional Development and Remote Work Expenses
Eligible employees may be reimbursed up to $750 each year for professional development / education and remote work expenses.
Student Loan PayDown or SaveUp
Catalist offers a Student Loan PayDown and College SaveUp benefit for eligible staff.
Vacation, Personal Leave, Sick Leave Benefits
Catalist offers generous vacation benefits to all eligible staff. Eligible employees also receive:
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Personal Days
- Sick Leave
- Parental Leave
Hybrid Office/Remote Work
Certain positions at Catalist are eligible for Office/Remote Hybrid or full Remote status.
Something looks off?