Data Scientist, Computation & Data Processing Platform
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Learn more about our work modes, benefits, and interview process at www.chanzuckerberg.com/careers.
CZ Imaging Institute
In our Science work, our mission is to support science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. We build open source software tools to accelerate science and generate more accurate and biologically important sources of data, fund scientific research worldwide to advance the frontiers of knowledge, and launched a family of institutes to do research that can’t be done in conventional environments.
To accomplish our mission, we need to develop a dynamic, integrated view of biological systems in health and disease. The Chan Zuckerberg Institute for Advanced Biological Imaging (CZ Imaging Institute) aims to push forward the development and application of new imaging technologies over the next 15 years to obtain deep insights into the architecture of complex biological systems at the molecular level. Researchers will collaboratively develop breakthrough biological imaging systems centered around grand challenges that push the boundaries of what we can see and measure.
As an extension of the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative’s Imaging program, the CZ Imaging Institute will create breakthrough technologies — hardware, software, biological probes, data, and platforms — that will be made available to the scientific community and adopted worldwide through a combination of direct access to the institute, open sharing of advances, and commercial partnerships.
The Chan Zuckerberg Imaging Institute is seeking an experienced Data Scientist, Computation & Data Processing, to support the implementation of existing and novel software and algorithms for research and technology development in cryo electron tomography (Cryo-ET). The successful candidate will have a strong background in computational science, with a focus on image processing and analysis, and experience with Cryo-ET data. They will work closely with researchers and engineers to develop and implement computational methods for data processing, analysis, and visualization, and will also be responsible for maintaining and troubleshooting the cryoET workflows.
What You'll Do
- Develop and manage projects to from design to delivery to implement existing and novel software and algorithms for image processing, analysis, and visualization of Cryo-ET data
- Analyze Cryo-ET workflows, and design and employ innovative algorithms and data analysis solutions to streamline complex analysis pipelines
- Collaborate with researchers and engineers and stakeholders in the scientific community to optimize and improve computational AI and machine learning methods for Cryo-ET data processing
- Maintain, document and troubleshoot the cryo-ET workflows from a technical perspective
- Provide technical and computational support to researchers and other staff as needed
- Keep abreast of the latest technology developments in computational analysis and data science relevant to Cryo-ET and implement new AI and ML techniques as appropriate
- Write technical documentation, reports and publications to communicate new findings and techniques internally and with the scientific community
What You'll Bring
- An advanced degree in Computational Science, Computer Science, Physics, or a related scientific or engineering field or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in computational science, with a focus on image processing and analysis
- Expert knowledge of scientific and computational concepts and a reputation as emerging leader in the field
- Profound experience with Cryo-ET data and related image processing software
- Strong expertise in Python, as well as at least one other programing language such as MATLAB, or C++
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $132,000 - $181,500. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!
Something looks off?