Vice President, Science Grant Programs
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
The Science Initiative at CZI supports science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Our support of basic science takes three primary forms: FUND - supporting partnerships and collaborations through grants and collaborative research networks; DO - performing research and collaborating directly with scientists; and BUILD - building modern software to analyze and share biological data and knowledge.
In December 2021, CZI co-founders and co-CEOs Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg announced a 10-year effort to develop the science and technologies to observe, measure, and analyze human biology in action. Over the next decade, CZI Science will focus on developing new research, institutes, and technologies that measure human biology in new ways to help deepen our understanding of human health and disease. Our focus will be largely on basic science in an effort to understand the mysteries of the cell an how cells interact within systems.
The CZI Science team is seeking a Vice President of Science Grant Programs (FUND) to oversee the funding programs at CZI. The position will report to the Head of Science and will be a key member of the senior science leadership at CZI, along with the Head of Science Technology, the Chief Technology Officer of the Biohub Network, and the Vice President of Science Operations. The Grants Program currently comprises a portfolio including Single-Cell Biology, Imaging, the Neurodegeneration Challenge Network, Open Science, and Science in Society. Learn more about our specific programs at: https://chanzuckerberg.com/science/programs-resources/.
What You'll Do
- Oversee the grants portfolio, including developing strategy with the Science Program Leads (direct reports to the VP of Science Grants Programs) to fund high-potential, high-impact research, technology platforms, organizations and scientific networks in both open competitions (RFAs, Requests for Applications) and targeted awards.
- Help shape and execute the vision of funding first-rate science that addresses the goal of “Measuring Human Biology”.
- Work with the senior science leadership to develop strategy that crosses FUND, DO and BUILD, including the development and administration of the Science grants budget.
- Engage intellectually with the scientific community and other relevant stakeholders, and identify new opportunities for collaboration or grantmaking, by attending conferences, establishing working relationships with leading external scientists and as a thought leader in a few areas of key scientific interest.
- Work with Science Operations and CZI-wide to develop and refine best practices and policies in science grantmaking.
- Work closely with the Head of Science Technology to identify areas of impact that benefit from both funding and software tool building.
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Team to develop systems, processes and metrics to establish both short-term and longer-term impact of our grant programs.
- Identify growth opportunities for team members and establish a collaborative, inclusive, and intellectually rigorous team culture.
What You'll Bring
- 20+ years in bioengineering, biomedical, or life sciences research or related field
- 10+ years of supervisory experience, including, but not limited to, department chair, center director in academia, or direct line management experience in industry
- Advanced degree in a life sciences or engineering discipline, Ph.D. or equivalent required
- Previous experience in philanthropy is preferred
- Proven ability to navigate complex organizations and processes to deliver results
- Ability to develop and manage to a budget
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage internal and external stakeholders at all levels
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $319,000 - $510,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!