Group Technical Program Manager, Education
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Learn more about our work modes, benefits, and interview process at www.chanzuckerberg.com/careers.
CZI Education’s Engineering organization is building a forward-looking technical platform that will support solutions to help students and teachers. The team’s culture is centered on rapid development, rigorous experimentation, and data-driven decision-making.
We are looking for a Group Technical Program Manager with a strong focus on organization-wide software development execution. The day-to-day will include communicating with executive leaders, coordinating and building strong relationships with senior cross-functional leaders, and partnering with our engineering leadership to build and launch software efficiently and effectively. This role will develop long-term strategies that will allow our full organization to move more effectively and to maximize what we learn through our actions.
We equip teachers with what they need to center students’ well-being in support of academic achievement and success. Teachers don’t have a lot of spare time in their day to adopt new tools and students are equally strapped for time but need support and visibility. We take these limitations and problems that live in our schools and build solutions. You have an interest in leading execution within our engineering organization and helping to establish best practices and processes. You have built tools for users in the past, incorporated user feedback into product strategy, and built strong partnerships across teams. We need your guidance to ensure our software supports our users and that we learn the right things along the way with the right level of engineering investment. You'll collaborate closely with your colleagues in Engineering, Product Management, Data & Applied Science, Product Design, and User Training. This is a role that combines technical strength, product focus, and empathy for our customers.
- Drive engineering efforts to solve complex problems by coordinating across engineering, product, user experience, data science, and user training needs
- Work with cross-functional partners for new innovative automation methodologies and technologies
- Establish robust and repeatable design and process patterns to provide structure for our engineers
- Mentor others
- Enable our teams to build tools at scale
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related technical field; or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
- 10+ years leading and defining software programs
- Deep experience with software architecture built for scalability, reliability and performance.
- Experience in building modern user interfaces using different technologies
- Experience with the Scrum methodology (or similar alternatives) for agile software development.
- Experience with cloud-based technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- A strong sense of curiosity and willingness to learn quickly, building knowledge and skills that this role requires.
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $200,000 - $300,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!
Something looks off?