Staff Software Engineer
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grant making, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
- We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Introducing The Future of Work at CZI. As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our philosophy and approach here.
CZI Education’s Engineering organization is building forward-looking software solutions that will help students and teachers. The team’s culture is centered on rapid development, rigorous experimentation, and data-driven decision-making.
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer with extensive experience building web-based products and supporting infrastructure across different users and leading software projects with high impact across an entire engineering organization. You will partner with other lead engineers and help to lead us through our next forward-looking architecture(s) and to help establish best practices for our existing infrastructure. We are moving rapidly to an environment of quick iteration and testing and need your guidance to ensure we learn the right things along the way with the right level of engineering investment. You'll collaborate closely with your colleagues in Engineering, Product Management, Data & Applied Science, and Product Design. This is a role that combines technical strength, product focus, and empathy for our users.
We equip teachers with what they need to center students’ well-being in support of academic achievement and success. Teachers don’t have a lot of spare time in their day to adopt new tools and students are equally strapped for time but need support and visibility. We take these limitations and problems that live in our schools and build solutions.
- Lead software development across multiple web application-based products and a microservices-based platform
- Interface directly with product and design teams to ensure we build the best quality products to meet our users’ needs
- Drive engineering efforts across the engineering organization to solve complex problems by designing and developing scalable frameworks and practices in engineering excellence
- Work with cross-functional partners for new innovative automation methodologies and technologies
- Establish robust and repeatable design and process patterns to provide structure for our engineers. Apply industry best practices to ensure long-term flexibility and sustainable ownership of the software that we own
- Drive work and culture of automation quality focusing on high quality results and signal through a continuous integration and continuous deployment pipeline
- Mentor other engineers
- Enable and drive the product engineering teams to build automation at scale
- Be the advocate for testability and drive best engineering practices
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related technical field; or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
- 10+ years leading and defining software programs
- Deep experience with software architecture built for scalability, reliability and performance.
- Experience in building modern user interfaces using different technologies
- Experience with the Scrum methodology (or similar alternatives) for agile software development.
- Experience with cloud-based technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- A strong sense of curiosity and willingness to learn quickly, building knowledge and skills that this role requires.
- Experience building different kinds of products for different audiences
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grant making, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. An example of the work CZI's education team supports include the Summit Learning Program, a personalized approach to teaching and learning that enhances the quality of student-teacher interactions and empowers educators to tailor instruction to individual student needs.
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $241,000.00 - $362,000.00. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!