Senior Systems Designer, Education
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
We’re hiring a mission driven senior designer to elevate our Education Design System team at CZI. The Education Design System (EDS) powers all of our pilot products and allows our teams to build and innovate quickly. In this pivotal role, you'll craft, refine, and set the standard for design components, ensuring seamless collaboration across teams and maintaining a quality bar that allows us to be seen as the industry's gold standard for design systems.
The position is full-time and open to flex or fully remote. Flex employees are required to come into our Redwood City headquarters 2 days a week.
What You'll Do
- Evolve and refine our design system to be industry leading
- Design reusable components and patterns, ensuring they meet our quality standard
- Maintain detailed design documentation and guidelines to assist teams in the implementation of the design system
- Prioritize and advocate for accessibility standards, ensuring the design system complies with best practices and meets user needs
- Partner closely with product designers and engineers to incorporate their feedback and insights into the design system
- Act as a bridge between design, engineering, and product management, ensuring seamless integration of the design system into the product development process
- Guide and mentor other designers on the best practices of the design system, hosting workshops or training sessions as needed
- Stay updated with the latest trends in design and technology to ensure the design system remains current and effective
What You'll Bring
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in product design, with a demonstrated track record in designing and building design systems or user interfaces
- A strong portfolio showcasing design system work, UI/UX design, problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail
- Exceptional visual design skills
- Strong proficiency in Figma, especially in the context of designing and integrating design systems
- Proven ability to work seamlessly with engineers, product managers, and other designers in a cross-functional setting.
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to write clear guidelines and documentation
- Skilled at working through tradeoffs and can make decisions that both support the advancement of the system and the needs of teams actively building into the system
- Ability to thrive in a team-oriented environment, offering mentorship to junior designers and elevating the team's overall quality of work.
- Comfortable in a rapidly changing environment where iterative design and experimentation are the norms
- Knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and experience designing accessible digital products.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Bonus: Prior experience working on Education products
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $163,000.00 - $204,000.00. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!