Staff UX Researcher, Education
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
We're looking for a mission-driven Staff passionate about education and innovating to join the Education Design Team. The Education team has several work streams building ambitious 0 > 1 pilots to address needs of teachers and students as well as an effort to look ahead at emerging needs and technologies (i.e. AI). In this role you will have the opportunity to both be a multiplier to pilot teams and help identify which problems to solve next.
The position is full-time and Flex based out of our Redwood City headquarters. Flex employees are required to come into the office 2 days a week.
What You'll Do
- Develop and execute a comprehensive user research strategy for the product space, including identifying research goals, methodologies and timelines.
- Collaborate with product managers and designers to define research objectives, create user personals and outline research plans that align with project milestones
- Design and conduct a variety of user research activities such as user interviews, surveys, usability testing and ethnographic studies to gather qualitative and quantitative data about user needs, preferences, pain points and behaviors.
- Analyze research findings to uncover actionable insights and create clear, concise and compelling research reports that inform product decisions.
- Work closely with the design and engineering teams to translate research insights into action design recommendations, advocating for the user’s perspective throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Participate in design reviews and provide iterative feedback to ensure the the products user experience alights with needs and expectations.
- Foster a deep understanding of the educational landscape, including the needs of learners and educators to design solutions that address real-world problems
- Stay-up to date with industry trends, best practices and emerging technologies in UX research and educational technology to bring innovative ideas to the team.
What You'll Bring
- Proven experience (10 years minimum) as a UX researcher, preferable in educational technology or nonprofit sectors.
- Strong expertise in qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, including user interviews, surveys, usability testing and ethnographic studies.
- Proficiency in using UX research tools and platforms
- Excellent communication skills, with ability to articulate complex research findings to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams, collaborating with product managers, designers and engineers.
- Passion for education and a deep empathy for learners and educators.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated, adaptable and able to thrive in a fast-paced and evolving environment.
- A background in education, whether as a former educator, administrator, or through academic studies related to education
- A strong understanding of pedagogical approaches, learning theories, and the evolving ed-tech landscape
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is [INSERT GROUP 0 PAY RANGE]. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!