User Experience Research Intern, Single Cell, Science
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
We're looking for a User Experience Researcher Intern to join our science efforts. The goal of CZI’s science initiative is to accelerate the pace of science and to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. Our science initiative supports multiple efforts, including Patient-Driven Research, a program to advance therapeutic research in rare disease, and Single Cell, a platform for visualizing biological data at the cellular level.
The Single Cell Biology team works to fund and build the create of healthy RNA tissue databases and builds the tools to help scientists query this resource to accelerate our understanding of human biology at the cell and tissue level.
What You'll Do
- Participate in the design, execution, analysis, and reporting of mixed-methods research studies to understand scientists, their needs, and how we can meet them.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teammates and external partners in shaping the delivery of products that accelerate the pace of science through fostering collaboration and knowledge discovery.
- Collaborate with product teams to generate concepts that address problems faced by biologists.
- Analyze data and convey insights in clear, illustrative ways that help the product team learn about scientific and research processes, inspire product strategy, and encourage design iteration.
- Collaborate on “full-stack” research, including gathering foundational and strategy-guiding insights all the way to very tactical usability research.
- Combine quantitative and qualitative data to determine the success of features during pilots and post-launch.
- Participate in critiques by sharing and receiving constructive feedback.
What You'll Bring
- Pursuing an advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in Human Computer Interaction, Psychology, or any area of human biology.
- The ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during the Summer 2024.
- A strong desire to learn new things.
- Strongly driven by helping to build user-focused tools to solve important problems.
- An ability to prioritize and communicate effectively and in a compelling way.
- Familiarity with user research methods and knowledge of when to apply the appropriate methods.
The Redwood City, CA pay for this role is: BS $45.68/hr, MS $48.63/hr, PhD $51.49/hr. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!