Staff Product Designer, Education
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
We're looking for a mission-driven Staff Product Designer passionate about education and innovating to join the Education Design Team. The Education team has several work streams building ambitious 0 > 1 pilots to address needs of teachers and students as well as an effort to look ahead at emerging needs and technologies (i.e. AI). In this role you will have the opportunity to both be a multiplier to pilot teams and help identify which problems to solve next.
Learn more about what it’s like to be a Product Designer at CZI, here.
The position is full-time and Flex based out of our Redwood City headquarters. Flex employees are required to come into the office 2 days a week.
What You'll Do
- Dive deep into the education user journeys, identifying unmet needs of educators and students and seeking out untapped opportunities for classroom innovation
- Navigate uncertain and ambiguous product landscapes with grace, turning challenges into design opportunities
- Develop forward-thinking design concepts that anticipate and address future user needs, market trends, and emerging tech
- Create high-fidelity prototypes to test visionary concepts, validate hypotheses, and explore the realm of the possible
- Influence and engage with senior leadership, advocating for user-centric solutions and driving alignment around visionary product directions
- Evaluate product ideas and their implications, ensuring that innovation is balanced with feasibility and business viability
- Champion a culture of design excellence, pushing boundaries and driving the team towards innovative solutions
- Guide and mentor other designers, sharing insights and fostering a culture of continuous learning
What You'll Bring
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in product design
- A compelling portfolio that showcases your ability to envision, conceptualize, and execute innovative tech solutions
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in ambiguous environments, translating abstract ideas into actionable design goals
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally, influencing product strategy and ensuring alignment with broader company objectives
- Exceptional communication skills, with the capability to articulate complex design visions to both design peers and non-design stakeholders
- Proficiency in conducting and integrating user research into design processes, ensuring solutions remain grounded in real-world educational needs
- Experience mentoring junior designers, fostering a culture of innovation, and pushing design boundaries within the team
- Comfortable adapting to rapidly shifting priorities in a dynamic environment, maintaining focus on overarching design and product goals
- A background in education, whether as a former educator, administrator, or through academic studies related to education
- A strong understanding of pedagogical approaches, learning theories, and the evolving ed-tech landscape
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $207,000.00 - $311,000.00. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!