Vice President Technology, Information Infrastructure & Systems, Central
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
CZI is a technology based philanthropy with a mission to build a better future for everyone. We seek a world-class technology leader to bring together the Engineering Infrastructure, Security, and Information Technology Systems into an efficient and effective set of services across CZI and CZ Science.
Reporting to the co-founder and CEO, this new role will develop and execute the vision and strategy to enable the technology investments and core business operations to achieve our impact and collaboration objectives. This includes supporting:
- CZI’s core operations - all of the business systems and IT needs to power the G&A capabilities required to operate CZI as a technology organization, a grant-making organization, and supporter of new, highly collaborative institutes that are part of CZ Science and CZI’s core software technology teams - across the Science and Education technology teams, the shared engineering, data, and security infrastructure needed to drive developer productivity and efficiency
- CZI’s AI compute resources - managing the cloud and cluster resources to create the largest technology industry-standard compute resources for biomedical academic researchers across CZ Science, CZI’s software teams, and beyond
This is an excellent opportunity for an outstanding leader, inspired by CZI’s mission, with a passion for the potential of technology to enable organizations to operate effectively, including accelerating scientific progress and applying technology to changing education.
We support interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers to expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research. Our North Star objective is to understand the mysteries of the cell, the fundamental building block of life. Our approach is to digitally model cell function through research, advanced development, collaboration, and funding. Some of our work in Science includes:
Building software such as:
- CZ cellxgene - an easy to use corpus of single-cell transcriptomics data.
- CZ ID - a metagenomics platform that delivers insights into infectious disease.
- Single-cell biology and the application of technologies that enable multi-omics investigation at the level of cells.
- Imaging and developing tools capable of observing biological processes across spatial scales at the level of tissues, cells, and proteins.
Doing science through
- The CZ Biohub Network empowering scientists to work on their riskiest, most exciting ideas.
- The CZ Imaging Institute and developing technologies to image the molecular architecture of the cell with atomic resolution.
What You'll Do
- Develop an Org-Wide Technology Strategy: Creating a strategy that supports the overall goals of CZI, considering the evolution and priorities across CZI and CZ Science, including science institutes and Biohubs and science and education technology teams.
- Align Technology with Strategic Priorities: Ensuring technology spending aligns with organizational goals and managing technology budgets effectively.
- Lead Core Functional Teams: Managing teams across Information Technology, Business Systems, Security, High-Performance Scientific Computing, Engineering Infrastructure, AI/ML Operations, and Data Engineering.
- Adapt Organizational Design: Modifying the organization's structure and team culture within functional areas to promote innovation, effective resource sharing, and rapid iteration.
- Develop AI Compute Infrastructure: Building AI infrastructure for biomedical research, aligning with technology industry standards, and fostering novel academic collaborations.
- Support Cloud-Based Software Development: Enhancing developer productivity and scalability for CZI’s Science and Education technology teams.
- Ensure Security and Compliance: Making sure all technology systems and platforms are secure and compliant with relevant standards.
- Establish Reliable and Scalable Infrastructure: Guaranteeing the technology infrastructure is reliable, scalable, and efficient, meeting the evolving needs of CZI.
- Secure Vendor and Partner Relationships: Developing and maintaining relationships with technology vendors and service providers for optimal technology investment value.
- Collaborate with Leadership Teams: Working with initiative, operations, and institutes leadership teams to develop technology solutions that support CZI’s mission.
- Monitor Industry Trends: Keeping an eye on emerging technologies and industry trends to leverage new technologies for differentiated impact
What You'll Bring
- Extensive Leadership Experience: Over 15 years in technology leadership roles including experience in a scientific computing or scientific research environments, showcasing a successful track record in guiding and managing sizable, multifaceted technology teams.
- Expertise in Cloud Computing and Data Services: A deep understanding of and experience with leading cloud computing platforms, data services, and enterprise application architecture.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Exceptional communication ability, fostering effective collaboration with a diverse range of stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Customer Service Orientation: A strong commitment to customer service within the Information Technology sector, emphasizing active listening to stakeholders' needs and delivering high-quality systems and services.
- Business Acumen and Strategic Alignment: Proficient in aligning technology strategies with the organization's broader business goals and objectives, demonstrating strong business insight.
- Budget Management and Strategic Investment: Proven experience creating, managing, and strategically deciding on technology budgets and investments.
- Analytical and Problem-Solving Proficiency: Robust analytical skills coupled with the ability to solve complex technology challenges effectively.
- Multidisciplinary Team Experience: A history of working with and understanding the unique needs of organizations and teams across multiple disciplines, showing a commitment to appreciating cultural, structural, and technical diversity.
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is 435,000 - 565,000- 696,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our local communities. Our mission is to build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!