Legal Counsel, Contracts
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
The Contracts Team, a critical part of CZI’s Legal and Grants Management team, is composed of attorneys and contract management professionals who draft, review, negotiate, manage and provide advice regarding CZI’s contracts and are continuously improving CZI’s contract systems and processes. You will be a key member of the Contracts Team and focus on drafting and reviewing inbound contracts, advising internal clients and partners, and leading legal projects. You will collaborate with the initiatives and other teams across CZI and help us manage, negotiate, and execute contracts critical to the success of our strategic mission and operational goals. In addition to working with educators, scientists, and change-makers to help CZI achieve its ambitious mission, you will also assist in the development and maintenance of our org-wide contracts management systems, policies, and processes. You will report to and work closely with the Director, Contracts.
What You'll Do
- Review, analyze, negotiate, draft and complete primarily inbound commercial and business contracts, including professional services, SaaS/software, data-related, and other contracts.
- Advise stakeholders and interpret contractual language and related legal concepts while maintaining a nimble and responsive approach to managing risk within a scaling organization.
- Support clients to resolve third-party business disputes and enforce or terminate contracts.
- Manage and respond to contract escalations from others on the Contracts Team.
- Draft and maintain contract templates, clause library, playbooks, and policies in partnership with the Senior Manager, Contract Management to increase efficiency and mitigate risk.
- Coordinate internal compliance measures relating to business and legal policies, including preparing and conducting regular training sessions for clients throughout the organization in partnership with others on the Contracts Team.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and standards to ensure CZI’s adaptation and compliance, including training others on the Contracts Team.
- Eagerly contribute to general team and organizational operations, including taking on special projects and helping out with other functions, as necessary.
What You'll Bring
- JD required and an active membership in at least one U.S. state bar, preferably California.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant in-house and law firm experience with a focus on transactions, contracts and advising clients, preferably in fields relating to science and technology.
- Strong verbal and written communication, analytical and social skills and good judgment.
- Strong collaboration skills, with a particular emphasis on working well in a team-oriented environment and servicing a broad range of constituencies.
- Ability to assess risk associated with inbound contracts, identify impact on strategic goals, and concisely communicate issues with clients of varying expertise and experience.
- Comfort with learning and using tools and technology to improve process efficiency and transparency.
- Ability to prioritize and effectively balance client expectations.
- Motivation to provide great client service and serve CZI’s broader mission by obtaining services and products in alignment with the organization’s unique needs.
- A learning and growth mindset coupled with humility and mission-oriented sensibilities.
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is [$193,000 - $290,000]. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our local communities. Our mission is to build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!