Senior Director, Business Development
Change Research innovates to solve critically important problems at the intersection of data, social science, and politics.
In 2021, Change Research launched a new business unit, Embold Research, focused on nonpartisan public opinion research for public, private, and nonprofit entities working to improve the communities they serve—and we are growing our team and business.
Embold is building a body of work around a wide variety of issues including COVID-19, K-12 education, local government, clean energy, and institutional trust.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We invite people with different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to join our team. Black, Indigenous, and people of color, LGBTQ+ people, women, veterans, people living with disabilities, and members of historically disenfranchised populations are encouraged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we are currently accepting applications to join our Embold team. Join us!
This is a permanent, full-time, remote position that reports to the Head of Embold Research. It may require occasional travel. Strong candidates will have a demonstrated ability for business development and to manage multiple projects with aggressive attention to detail. You want to help leaders better understand the people they serve. You thrive in a fast-paced environment that prizes a commitment to impact and accuracy. You want to improve on how public opinion research is conducted, presented, and used, and you want to help build a company.
About the role:
Our new Senior Director of Business Development will explore and grow our business in the following sectors:
- state and local governments
- nonprofits and foundations
- companies and industry associations
- consulting firms that work with the above
Today, we are working on exciting and critical projects that define our times, including projects to inform and mitigate Covid-19 vaccine hesitancy, increase awareness of and support renewable energy growth, understand both business and residential community concerns, and advocate for education reform, and more. You’ll have the opportunity to help build something fundamentally new and different, and to help chart the course for Embold as we grow.
You will collaborate with our team of pollsters, data scientists, and other colleagues to propel growth, build our reputation, and identify and solve problems for clients.
- Set and reach annual sales targets
- Build and lock in partnerships with PR and advertising firms, and other types of consultants, to increase the scale and reach of our sales efforts
- Skillfully build interest and create business development and sales opportunities from within your own network and new prospects
- Understand company offerings and translate that knowledge into compelling sales pitches that solve client problems and win business
You will also have the opportunity to:
- Ideate and secure opportunities that raise the profile of the company and increase awareness of Embold among target clients. This may include presenting at industry conferences, leading client presentations, and brainstorming ideas for the public release of polling data.
- Assist in building a deep, nuanced understanding of our clientele and their problems; propose new and exciting ways, and help advance our strategy based on your existing and learned knowledge
- Inform and input to company sales and marketing collateral, product pricing strategy, and more
You are an experienced professional with a network of contacts in government, nonprofits, foundations, and industry, and you are confident in your ability to sell to them. You know how those institutions work to shape the communities they serve. You have stories to tell about ideas you’ve brought to life and projects you’ve built from the ground up.
- 10-15 years of experience driving business growth at research, public affairs, media relations, consulting, community relations, or similar firms.
- Strong relationship builder, able to cultivate a strong network on behalf of the company
- Ability to think creatively, identify opportunities to solve problems for clients, and proactively anticipate client needs
- You thrive in a data-driven environment and can strategically help potential and existing clients understand how to use polling and data to further their goals
- Self-motivated and entrepreneurial, comfortable with working in an early-stage environment
- Team player with thorough attention to detail who can track projects using various systems, customer relationship management, and project management tools
- Passionate about issues and causes that make a positive difference in the world
Compensation and Work Environment:
The Business Development salary range is $115,000 to $140,000, based on relevant experience, and includes these benefits:
- Fully remote work environment
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Flexible paid time off & company holidays
- Equity options
- Office stipend
- Bonus potential
Our workplace is both casual and professional, and we are committed to learning, fun, and excellence. Everyone on our team works hard and is committed to the work we are doing. You must be authorized to work in the United States.
If you are selected to interview, our process includes:
- Preliminary video interview: Approx. 30 min
- At-home exercise: Approx. 1 hr 30 min
- Additional video interviews: Approx. 1 hr
- Video interview with manager: Approx. 1hr
- Reference Checks (we may do these earlier in the process)
How to Apply
Click the “Apply” link to submit a resume and answer a few brief questions. Applications will be received on a rolling basis and early applicants will receive priority. We are seeking to fill this position by August 31, 2022, and the application may close before this deadline.