VP of Engineering or Chief Technology Officer
Software Engineering, IT
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Civitech is a public benefit corporation dedicated to creating a fairer and more equitable democracy by building the tools and infrastructure needed to increase civic participation, empower Democratic candidates to win, and support the success of progressive causes. Since its founding in 2019, almost 400 partners—a range of nonprofit organizations, national political committees, and individual campaigns—have utilized Civitech’s tools to reach tens of millions of voters to help create a more equitable and progressive democracy.
The VP of Engineering/CTO is responsible for managing Civitech’s engineering team to build technology that meets design requirements and delivers a consistent experience for users. Additionally, the VP of Engineering/CTO directs the development and implementation of efficient technical operations and cost-effective systems to meet current and future needs of the company, and is a key member of the company leadership team.
It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the organizations we seek to serve. We strongly encourage women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and others otherwise underrepresented in the technology sector to apply.
What You Will Do
- As the head of engineering for Civitech, create and lead vision around engineering principles for the company and team and represent the engineering perspective and team members in strategy and decision-making.
- Ensure that the engineering team builds products that meet design requirements and quality metrics, and develops effective technical infrastructure/architecture.
- Understand and collaborate on the complete product lifecycle from concept to execution, in close partnership with the VP of Product.
- Design, implement, and monitor all operations and key performance metrics and operational efficiency for the engineering team.
- Recommend and oversee implementation of new ideas or technology to increase efficiency and ensure that quality standards are maintained.
- Advise on strategy and oversee maintenance of company security and IT policies and practices.
- Manage the engineering team to ensure Engineering Managers and their direct reports (engineers, data scientists, data analysts, etc) feel accountable and empowered to deliver established project milestones.
- Advise and oversee the hiring and development of engineering team members.
- Build and maintain external contacts to create a pipeline of future partners and employees for Civitech’s engineering team.
- As a member of the Leadership team, contribute to overall company vision, product vision, company policies and standards, and development of company and department-specific objectives and key results.
- 10+ years relevant experience that indicates you can lead engineering and data teams to build technology products.
- Previous data engineering experience and management of data-heavy teams.
- Past success with breaking large, complex systems into distributed microservices with large data volume.
- Experience with implementing or managing engineering infrastructure, scalability, and devops.
- Proven success working closely with Product Management, contributing to the product strategy, and helping to successfully deliver on the product roadmap.
- Demonstrated success establishing systems and best practices in a rapidly changing environment.
- Able to engage critically with political technology products, elections, and campaigns; expertise or prior work experience in politics or voting is desired, but not required.
- Invested in leadership and collaboration styles that empower our staff, clients, partners, and voters; mentoring; and making the world a better place.
- Committed to building a company and staff that reflect the diverse backgrounds and experiences of the voters, campaigns, and progressive organizations we serve.
- Committed to leveraging technology and data products to help Democratic candidates run for office and win, empower progressive causes, and increase civic participation.
- Knowledgeable about industry trends, best practices, and change management; knowledgeable about software design.
- Able to effectively communicate and manage relationships with technical team, Leadership team, and other non-technical stakeholders.
- Able to contribute meaningfully to advance company strategy.
- Familiar with GCP. Experience building cloud-native solutions and guiding engineering teams in choosing technologies. Technologies we use include: Terraform, BigQuery, Python, R, DBT, Docker, Azure, Airflow, .NET, Angular
Classification, Salary, and Benefits:
Civitech is headquartered in Austin, TX, with employees in 12 states across the country. The VP of Engineer/CTO can work in Austin or remotely in any US location.
The VP of Engineer/CTO leads our Engineering team, and manages our Engineering Managers. The VP of Engineering/CTO reports to our CEO. Candidate skill sets and areas of expertise, as well as developing team and company needs, will determine whether we hire a VP of Engineering or a CTO.
$160,000-$200,000 full-time, annual salary, commensurate with location and experience.
Why Work At Civitech:
401(k) + 4% Employee Matching Plan
Medical, Vision, & Dental
20 Days Paid Time Off + 8 company holidays
10 days Sick Leave
Monthly Remote Work Stipend
Flexible Spending Account
Professional Development Stipend
Employee Stock Options
Civitech is not able to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
Civitech provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.