Climate Power - Managing Director, Communications
Marketing & Communications, Operations
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2022
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
About This Role
Climate Power is seeking a strategic and innovative Managing Director, Communications to lead the organization’s communications strategy to build the political will and public support for bold climate action.
The Managing Director will work closely with the Executive Director and senior leadership team to set campaign priorities and drive a narrative to win the politics of climate nationally and in key states. The Managing Director will create, manage and execute communications strategies to convey the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities and block efforts to dismantle climate progress.
Sets organizational priorities & strategic vision; Manage
multiple staff, contractors; Manage cross-team strategies; Lead a larger team; Set priorities for each team based on organization priorities; Requires significant specialized experience in management, team leadership and in individual issue areas. Manages key partnerships and relationships. Senior Management
Location & Hours of Operations
Climate Power is a remote first organization based in DC. This position can be located anywhere in the U.S., but must be able to work Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST, plus weekends and evenings as the work dictates.
- Drive ambitious communications strategies: Create, manage and execute communications strategies to win the politics of climate nationally and in key states. Oversee frequent and consistent outreach to political and environmental reporters and columnists and develop and place opinion pieces.
- Integrate communications approach across Climate Power: Work closely across the organization to ensure a strategic communications lens is integrated into all campaigns and efforts.
- Manage a team of staff and consultants: Manage Climate Power communications team of six, as well as outside state and national consultants, and direct day-to-day operations and strategy.
- Build a nimble press operation: Identify rapid response opportunities and prioritize response to developing news stories with influential climate and political reporters. Manage coordination with paid media team to amplify paid communication in earned media to ensure it reaches the broader public.
- Develop and coordinate messaging: Collaborate with Executive Director and senior leadership to develop messaging for use by Climate Power’s Advisory Board, surrogates, partners, and allies across the climate movement.
- Research-driven communications: Coordinate with Climate Power’s research team to integrate key facts, and other research into messaging and communications materials.
- Act as spokesperson: Serve as spokesperson for Climate Power, as needed, and develop other campaign voices for Climate Power.
- Manage, engage and grow Climate Power’s surrogate network: Manage a surrogates operation to engage diverse voices of environmental leaders, state policymakers, youth activists, and trusted voices from the private sector and within communities, for media opportunities and to tell the story of climate action.
- Collaborate with climate movement and other stakeholders: Build relationships with communications leaders of other organizations, campaigns, elected officials, coalitions, stakeholders, and other high-level partners, including celebrities.
- Evaluate results: Monitor and evaluate the impact of the communications team by establishing key metrics, analyzing results, and adjusting strategies as necessary.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
- 10+ years of communications experience, including electoral and political campaign experience.
- Five years of experience leading high-performing teams with the ability to motivate others.
- Works effectively with a diverse group of people, communities, and partners.
- Effective communicator — Ability to communicate information in a clear, compelling manner, be it verbally, graphically, or in writing.
- Deep communications experience with a track record of success in the current media landscape.
- A strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Experience managing rapid-response and enterprise communications strategies.
- Highly organized with the capacity to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations and under deadlines.
- Track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
Our Values: We are...
Our Norms: We work to..
- Set everyone up for success
- Treat all team members with respect.
- Seek, accept, and provide feedback consistently.
- Trust our/your teammates
- Step up, Step back
- Take care of each other.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurances, 100% paid for employee 50% for their dependents
- Unlimited Paid Time off, including every other Friday and extended summer, fall, and winter breaks
- Education Assistance, including tuition reimbursement and student loan repayment programs
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tech Allowance
- Employee Wellness & Treat Yourself Funds
This list is not exhaustive.
Our Hiring Timeline and Process
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will continue to interview until the position is filled. An ideal start date would be before or by October 31, 2023.
Our interview process will involve 3 rounds of interviews, ranging in length from 30-60 minutes. All interviews will be conducted via Google Meets or Zoom. Successful candidates that move forward in the hiring process, will be invited to complete a skills assessment activity and will undergo a vetting process, including reference and background check to ensure cultural and political alignment.
Climate Power is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
Additionally, Climate Power is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Climate Power will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview and hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.