Climate Power - Director of Insights
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2023
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
About This Role
Climate Power is seeking a Director of Insights to oversee our public opinion research programs. They will use internal and external research and testing to create, maintain, and expand a series of strategic narratives to engage our supporters and key constituencies, develop distribution networks to help our message reach priority audiences, and deploy proof points to build political will and public support for climate action.
We’re looking for a strategist with a record of success in identifying key trends in polling, creative testing, and programmatic data—and translating those insights into message maps, communications plans, and campaign recommendations. We’re seeking someone who can use audience research to develop key communications priorities and build distribution plans. The ideal candidate will be someone who can find compelling stories in complex data sets and combine emotional intelligence with hard-nosed strategy.
- Manage all public opinion research: Works with Deputy ED of Campaigns and Executive team to determine research priorities and works with polling vendors to oversee all our public opinion research. Oversees approvals for poll scripts, briefings, etc.
- Narrative stewardship: Creates ongoing climate narratives from a deep library of survey results, message research, creative tests, and program analytics, in collaboration with the communications and paid media team. Utilizes external resources from climate partners, polling projects, etc.
- Content creation: Develops message maps, landscape assessments, polling briefings, strategy presentations, and insight memos for distribution to Climate Power staff—as well as partners, allies, donors, and key stakeholders.
- Audience development: Uses research and data to identify strategies for broadening Climate Power's reach; uncovers media consumption habits and news preferences for key audience cohorts; identifies new audiences for outreach and growth.
- Conversation measurement: Uses social listening tools and other assessment instruments to gauge the impact of key narratives and political trends online.
- Capacity building: Drives understanding across Climate Power and among our partners and allies by developing and executing insight presentations, workshops, and skill-sharing opportunities.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 7 years of experience communicating complex datasets into key findings and strategic recommendations for a variety of different audiences in political, advocacy, or electoral settings.
- 3 years of supervisory experience, may include managing projects or teams
- Deep understanding of qualitative/quantitative research and marketing analytics including advanced knowledge of research skills across methodologies including survey design, discussion guides, insights development, storytelling, and ad testing.
- A track record of delivering audience-centric communication and engagement strategies informed by data.
- Understanding of a range of audience segmentation and identification approaches as well as brand communication techniques (segmentation, test matrices etc.)
- Exceptional writing, communication, and presentation skills. A knack for describing complex, data-driven insights to non-technical audiences.
- Keen understanding of how information is disseminated across the political ecosphere.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools like Tableau or Google Data Studio.
- Experience evaluating and managing vendor relationships.
- Ability to collaborate with other teams to integrate organization-wide priorities into digital communication and amplify digital products through other channels.
- Climate issue advocacy experience is a plus.
We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan repayment assistance, and generous paid time off.
Climate Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
See more open positions at Climate Power
Something looks off?