Climate Power - Surrogate Program Director
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2023
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
About This Role
Climate Power has an immediate opening for a Surrogate Program Director to build and engage a diverse bench of surrogates, thought leaders, policymakers, and allies to drive a national narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities, and block efforts to dismantle climate progress. Additionally, the director will be the driving force behind distilling Climate Power’s message into actionable talking points and guidance for partners and allies. The director will work across the organization to run a program that will arm national and state surrogates with key messages, build relationships with media producers, and identify opportunities to elevate individuals in the media.
- Design and oversee the successful implementation of Climate Power’s surrogates program that elevates individuals to drive a national narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities, and block efforts to dismantle climate progress.
- Develop and regularly distribute compelling message guidance to a wide range of surrogates, talkers, and other allies to use with media and online.
- Manage and maintain high-level surrogate relationships in partnership with Climate Power’s Director of Strategic Partnerships and Director of Digital Engagement.
- Work with consultants to manage producer relationships, and develop new producer relationships and to regularly book high level surrogates to TV, radio, and podcast opportunities.
- Develop and execute media training for surrogates, advisory boards members, state voices and other leaders.
- Manage and the growth and expansion of Climate Power’s surrogate program.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 7 years of communications experience, including experience working with a principle, influencer, public official, or celebrity surrogates. Electoral experience is required.
- 3 years people and project management experience preferred.
- Keen understanding of how to creatively partner with surrogates to amplify a campaign’s message.
- Strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to work collaboratively across internal teams and with external partners.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
- Political surrogate experience is a plus.
We offer a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, student loan repayment assistance, and generous paid time off.
Climate Power is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
See more open positions at Climate Power
Something looks off?