Climate Power - Rapid Response Director
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2023
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
About This Role
Climate Power is seeking a strategic and innovative Rapid Response Director to lead the Communications Department’s rapid response program. The Rapid Response Director will report to the Deputy Managing Director of Communications and will manage the Rapid Response Press Secretary to win the daily news cycle, hold Republicans and polluters accountable, and combat attacks and disinformation in order to win the politics of climate nationally and in key states.
The Rapid Response Director will create, manage and execute communications strategies to convey the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities and block efforts to dismantle climate progress.
Staff Tier & Description
Tier Description: Project management across teams; Manages staff and contractors; Manage a “vertical” of work & manage daily workflow; Positions lead work in an area of specialization and require expertise or near expertise in the relevant area. Requires significant experience.
Location & Hours of Operations
Climate Power is a remote first organization based in DC. This position can be located anywhere in the U.S., but must be able to work Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST, plus weekends and evenings as the work dictates.
- Work in coordination with the Communications Department Leadership, the Executive Team and the communications team to craft, execute, and lead Climate Power’s rapid response communications strategy;
- Manage Climate Power’s Rapid Response Press Secretary;
- Act as on the record spokesperson for Climate Power and handle direct to camera content for digital products;
- Work with Rapid Response Press Secretary and research team leads to manage and execute rapid response strategy and plans for priority issues;
- Manage all aspects of drafting, editing, and sending out written materials to reporters to deliver the organization’s message;
- Monitor breaking news and identify opportunities to accomplish Climate Power’s message goals;
- Manage crisis communications when necessary;
- Work as news unfolds, managing draft messaging including talking points, statements and press releases and engaging with the media, sometimes outside regular working hours;
- Work with Surrogates Director to create an arsenal of media-trained spokespeople for rapid response moments;
- Prepare materials for and staff principals should a rapid response moment necessitate;
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with others across units, functional departments and disciplines, including digital, political and research teams;
- Facilitate effective partnerships and collaboration at all levels of the organization; andCoordinate rapid response activities with and among partner organizations.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
- 7 years of communications experience including at least 2 years of political communications experience a
- 3 years experience managerial experience, including a track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Works effectively with a diverse group of people, communities, and partners.
- Experience managing rapid-response and enterprise communications strategies.
- A strong instinct for powerful storytelling combined with strong editorial and ethical judgment.
- Able to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
- On the record experience.
- Climate experience is a plus.
- Deep communications experience with a track record of success in the current media landscape.
If you don’t meet all of the requirements and believe you’re a good fit, we absolutely encourage you to apply, but be sure to uplift all experience that aligns with both our essential and desired qualifications.
Our Values: We are...
Our Norms: We work to..
- Set everyone up for success
- Treat all team members with respect.
- Seek, accept, and provide feedback consistently.
- Trust our/your teammates
- Step up, Step back
- Take care of each other.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurances, 100% paid for employee 50% for their dependents
- Unlimited Paid Time off, including every other Friday and extended summer, fall, and winter breaks
- Education Assistance, including tuition reimbursement and student loan repayment programs
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tech Allowance
- Employee Wellness & Treat Yourself Funds
This list is not exhaustive.
Our Hiring Timeline and Process
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will continue to interview until the position is filled. An ideal start date would be before or by October 31, 2023.
Our interview process will involve 3 rounds of interviews, ranging in length from 30-60 minutes. All interviews will be conducted via Google Meets or Zoom. Successful candidates that move forward in the hiring process, will be invited to complete a skills assessment activity and will undergo a vetting process, including reference and background check to ensure cultural and political alignment.
Climate Power is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
Additionally, Climate Power is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Climate Power will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview and hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.