Communications Manager, En Acción
Marketing & Communications
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2023
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Climate Power En Acción, formerly the Latino Engagement team, is tasked with creating awareness of the importance of transitioning to a green economy in the Latino community as an essential step to combat climate change.
Learn more about our organization and work here: Climate Power: Who We Are!
About This Role
Climate Power has an immediate opening for a National Communications Manager for Climate Power En Acción that helps us drive the narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action for Latinos, and block efforts to dismantle climate progress. The National Communications Manager will work with the Climate Power En Acción team to execute a strong earned campaign along with editorial paid media products tailored to Latino audiences.
This position reports to the Deputy Executive Director, En Acción.
- Manage staff: Manage Climate Power En Acción comms staff.
- Earned media: Support the Managing Director and Deputy Managing Director for Climate Power En Acción in the development of an earned media strategy for Latino English and Spanish media that sells the benefits of the climate law on a local and national level, underlines the health and economic impacts that Big Oil and its MAGA allies are having on Latino families in the country and how climate disinformation is targeting and hurting the community.
- Communications materials: Manage all aspects of drafting, editing, and sending out written materials to reporters to drive Latino coverage in English and Spanish media that highlights the impact and benefits of the climate law, climate action policies, empowers the positive politics of climate, and elevates the consequences of climate change on people’s lives.
- Media events: Help organize and support earned media events.
- Prepare Latino spokespeople & storytellers: Work with the Surrogates Director to create an arsenal of media-trained spokespeople.
- Media Relations: Work with the Deputy Managing Director to maintain and grow press and media relations. Organize and execute editorial board meetings in Tier 1 states.
- Communications team collaboration: Participate in Communications calls and oversee day-to-day communications tasks with Climate Power’s Communications team.
- Latino Paid: Support Deputy Managing Director and Latino Paid Media Manager in the development of any communications materials needed for paid media projects.
- Rapid response: Work with Senior Media Associate to identify and respond to developing news stories, manage press and surrogate outreach for Latino and Spanish-speaking media, and track special events/debates. Monitor breaking news and identify opportunities to accomplish En Accion goals.
- 5 years of relevant prior work experience in communications, digital organizing, campaigns, electoral work, and research preferred.
- Experience working directly with Latino storytellers or climate advocacy groups, national and state political and environmental press, in Spanish and English, including successfully pitching and placing stories.
- 2 years of people and/or project management experience; some expertise in leading departments and diverse teams and managing complex projects.
- Deep interest in the economic impact of climate change, clean energy jobs, environmental justice, and how these issues impact Latino communities across the country.
- Must be bi-lingual - English and Spanish native speaker.
- Strong organizational skills demonstrated by the ability to manage competing priorities, navigate complex issues, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Effective communicator—both written and oral.
- Experience working in a dynamic and rapid response organization.
- Willingness to stay up to date on best practices and trends relative to the work and projects in their purview.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurances 100% paid for employee 50% for their dependents.
- Unlimited Paid Time off, including every other Friday and extended summer, fall, and winter breaks
- 401(k) with 5% match.
- Education Assistance, including student loan repayment program.
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly Tech Allowance
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Work From Home Stipend, for home office furniture
- Employee Wellness & Treat Yourself Funds
If you don’t meet all of the requirements and believe you’re a good fit, we absolutely encourage you to apply, but be sure to uplift all experience that aligns with both our essential and desired qualifications.
Location & Hours of Operations
Climate Power is a remote-first organization based in DC. This position can be located anywhere in the U.S., but must be able to work Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST, plus weekends and evenings as the work dictates.
Climate Power offers a competitive compensation package including experienced based salary (please ensure that all relevant experience is included on your resume) and comprehensive benefits, including the following:
Our Hiring Timeline and Process
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will continue to interview until the position is filled (posting will remain up until position filled).
An ideal start date would be before or by February 29, 2024.
Our interview process generally involves 3 rounds of interviews,ranging in length from 30-60 minutes. All interviews will be conducted via Google Meets or Zoom. Successful candidates that move forward in the hiring process, will be invited to complete a skills assessment activity (for which they will receive compensation) and will undergo a vetting process, including reference and background check to ensure cultural and political alignment.
Climate Power is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
Additionally, Climate Power is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Climate Power will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview and hiring process.