Deputy Managing Director, En Acción
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, December 8, 2023
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Climate Power En Acción, formerly the Latino Engagement team, is tasked with creating awareness of the importance of transitioning to a green economy in the Latino community as an essential step to combat climate change.
Learn more about our organization and work here: Climate Power: Who We Are!
About This Role
The Deputy Managing Director for Climate Power En Acción will help the Managing Director lead and execute the overall strategy of En Acción. They will align the organization’s daily priorities with the team’s daily tasks, coordinate with other teams, support the Managing Director in developing strategic working plans, and build a team that will position En Acción as a one-of-a-kind comprehensive program aimed to reach and mobilize Latinos around climate and the benefits of transitioning to a green economy.
- Manage staff: Manage Latino Partners Senior Associate and En Acción Senior Associate while supporting the MD in other staff management as needed.
- Cross-team collaboration: Coordinate with deputy managing directors acrossdepartments to drive En Acción strategy through all of Climate Power’s work. Support the En Acción work during major rollouts.
- Relation maintenance and development: Travel to key states to expand partner and media relationships for En Acción.
- Expand collaboration with Latino organizations: Work with the Latino Partners Senior Associate, the political team, and the states team to expand our relationships and collaboration with Latino green organizations, Latino political organizations, and local Latino community organizations.
- Execute En Acción programs & plans: En Acción is leading several programs, including countering disinformation targeting Latinos, polling, and youth outreach, as well as developing unique paid media products and supporting comms capacity for partners interested in the political climate narrative for Latinos. The Deputy Managing Director will support the Managing Director in overseeing these efforts and coordinating their execution and implementation.
- Evaluate results: Support monitoring and evaluating the impact of the En Acción team by establishing key metrics, analyzing results, and adjusting strategies as necessary.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 8 years of relevant prior work experience in Latino politics, communications, digital organizing, campaigns, electoral work, and/or research preferred.
- 5 years of people and/or project management experience; demonstrated success in leading departments and diverse teams and managing complex projects.
- Must be bi-lingual - English and Spanish native speaker.
- A clear understanding of the political landscape, especially as it relates to climate justice and the Latino community.
- Excellent judgment in navigating complex issues and making difficult decisions.
- Collaborative leader; Must be able to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage competing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Effective communicator—both written and oral.
- Ability to be a proactive self-starter, working independently and creatively to move work forward to successful completion;
- Willingness to stay up to date on best practices and trends relative to the work and projects in their purview.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
- If you don’t meet all of the requirements and believe you’re a good fit, we absolutely encourage you to apply, but be sure to uplift all experience that aligns with both our essential and desired qualifications.
Location & Hours of Operations
- Climate Power is a remote-first organization based in DC. This position can be located anywhere in the U.S., but must be able to work Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST, plus weekends and evenings as the work dictates.
- Climate Power offers a competitive compensation package including experienced based salary (please ensure that all relevant experience is included on your resume) and comprehensive benefits, including the following:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurances 100% paid for employee 50% for their dependents
- Unlimited Paid Time off, including every other Friday and extended summer, fall, and winter breaks401(k) with 5% match
- Education Assistance, including student loan repayment program
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly Tech Allowance
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Work From Home Stipend, for home office furniture
- Employee Wellness & Treat Yourself Funds
Our Hiring Timeline and Process
- We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will continue to interview until the position is filled (posting will remain up until position filled).
- An ideal start date would be before or by March 29, 2024.
- Our interview process generally involves 3 rounds of interviews, ranging in length from 30-60 minutes. All interviews will be conducted via Google Meets or Zoom. Successful candidates that move forward in the hiring process, will be invited to complete a skills assessment activity (for which they will receive compensation) and will undergo a vetting process, including reference and background check to ensure cultural and political alignment.
- Climate Power is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
- Additionally, Climate Power is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Climate Power will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview and hiring process.
- If reasonable accommodation is needed in the interview process, please email@example.com. Requests for updates in the hiring/interview process or other solicitations, should not be sent to this email.