Managing Director, En Acción
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, December 8, 2023
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Climate Power En Acción, formerly the Latino Engagement team, is tasked with creating awareness of the importance of transitioning to a green economy in the Latino community as an essential step to combat climate change.
Learn more about our organization and work here: Climate Power: Who We Are!
About This Role
Climate Power is seeking a Managing Director for En Acción. This role will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team. They will report to the En Acción’s Deputy Executive Director.
The Managing Director for En Acción will lead the strategy and day-to-day team operations that cement our work leading the climate political narrative for Latinos, as well as continue building a comprehensive work aimed to reach and mobilize Latinos around climate and the benefits of transitioning to a green economy. The Managing Director will work closely with the En Acción Deputy Executive Director and senior leadership team to set campaign priorities, as well as manage all En Acción lines of work, including communications strategies (earned and paid), partnership alliances, and other programs aimed to convey the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action for Latinos and block efforts to dismantle climate progress.
- Manage staff: Manage the En Acción team of staff and consultants.
- Strategic planning: With the guidance of En Acción’s Deputy Executive Director, build and lead the execution of En Acción strategies for its comms, paid, disinformation, digital, and partner work.
- Interdepartmental coordination: Coordinate with managing directors across departments to drive En Acción strategy through all of Climate Power’s work. Leading the En Acción work during major rollouts.
- Lead En Acción communications earned media strategy: Create and drive an earned media strategy for Latino English and Spanish media. Work with the Deputy Managing Director and Press Secretary to develop a communications strategy that drives media coverage and draws attention to climate action while antagonizing oil and gas and blocking efforts to dismantle progress.
- Lead En Acción programs & plans: En Acción is leading several programs, including countering disinformation targeting Latinos, polling, and youth outreach, as well as developing unique paid media products and supporting comms capacity for partners interested in the political climate narrative for Latinos. The Managing Director will need to oversee all these efforts and coordinate its execution and implementation.
- Evaluate results: Monitor and evaluate the impact of the En Acción team by establishing key metrics, analyzing results, and adjusting strategies as necessary.
- Spokesperson: Serve as one of the spokespersons for Climate Power En Acción and Climate Power as needed in Spanish and English, and develop other campaign voices for En Acción.
- Events and conferences: Organize and represent En Acción at Latino events and conferences in partnership with national and local organizations.
- 10 years of relevant prior work experience in communications, digital organizing, campaigns, electoral work, and research preferred. Must have political communication experience. Experience working directly with Latino storytellers or climate advocacy groups, national and state political and environmental press, in Spanish and English, including successfully pitching and placing stories. On the record experience.
- 5 years of people and/or project management experience.
- Deep interest in the economic impact of climate change, clean energy jobs, environmental justice, and how these issues impact Latino communities across the country is a plus!
- Must be bi-lingual - English and Spanish native speaker.
- Strong people skills and exceptional team player.
- Strong strategic and writing skills.
- Effective communicator—both written and oral.
- Ability to be a proactive self-starter, working independently to move work forward to successful completion.
- Able to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours in high-pressure situations.
- Track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Willingness to stay up to date on best practices and trends relative to the work and projects in their purview.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
- If you don’t meet all of the requirements and believe you’re a good fit, we absolutely encourage you to apply, but be sure to uplift all experience that aligns with both our essential and desired qualifications.
- Climate Power is a remote-first organization based in DC. This position can be located anywhere in the U.S., but must be able to work Monday - Friday 9 am - 6 pm EST, plus weekends and evenings as the work dictates.
- Climate Power offers a competitive compensation package including experience-based salary (please ensure that all relevant experience is included on your resume) and comprehensive benefits, including the following:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurances 100% paid for employee 50% for their dependents.
- Unlimited Paid Time off, including every other Friday and extended summer, fall, and winter breaks
- 401(k) with 5% match.
- Education Assistance, including student loan repayment program.
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly Tech Allowance
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Work From Home Stipend, for home office furniture
- Employee Wellness & Treat Yourself Funds
- We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will continue to interview until the position is filled (posting will remain up until position filled).
- An ideal start date would be before or by March 29, 2024.
- Our interview process generally involves 3 rounds of interviews,ranging in length from 30-60 minutes. All interviews will be conducted via Google Meets or Zoom. Successful candidates that move forward in the hiring process, will be invited to complete a skills assessment activity (for which they will receive compensation) and will undergo a vetting process, including reference and background check to ensure cultural and political alignment.
- Climate Power is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
- Additionally, Climate Power is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Climate Power will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview and hiring process.
- If reasonable accommodation is needed in the interview process, please firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for updates in the hiring/interview process or other solicitations should not be sent to this email.
Location & Hours of Operations
Our Hiring Timeline and Process