Deputy Managing Director, Research
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2023
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Learn more about our organization and work here: Climate Power: We’re hiring
About This Role
- Climate Power has an immediate opening for a Deputy Managing Director for the Research team. The Deputy will work with the Managing Director of Research to lead the organization’s strategic research work to drive a national narrative around the importance of climate and clean energy investments, sell the benefits of climate action in key communities, and block efforts to dismantle climate progress. to guide the day-to-day operations of the department,
- Work in partnership with the Research Managing Director to execute the departmental research strategy.
- Project manage ongoing long-term and short-term research products across the team, including scheduling deadlines and determining capacity amongst team members.
- Serve as a member of Climate Power’s senior leadership team and work across departments to drive forward research needs for organization-wide campaigns and projects.
- Direct the research team’s rapid response work, working closely with the Communications Rapid Response Director on rapid response needs.
- Manage at least three members of staff on the Research team.
- Oversee editing of research products to ensure factual accuracy and writing quality.
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
- 8 years of relevant prior work experience: including at least one cycle working in political research on a campaign within an issue advocacy group, PAC, or other similar organization. Preference for candidates who have experience working with Communications teams.
- 5 years of people and/or project management experience; demonstrated success in leading departments and diverse teams and managing complex projects.
- Track record of effectively supervising a team to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong news judgment and knowledge of the political media landscape.
- Experience managing rapid response and demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced campaign environment with unpredictable hours.
- Collaborative leader – must be able to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Strong people skills and exceptional team player.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated mastery of research tools, including LexisNexis and campaign finance filings. Further understanding of upcoming and new internet tools to find information is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
- Interest in climate justice is a plus!
- If you don’t meet all of the requirements and believe you’re a good fit, we encourage you to apply but be sure to uplift all experience that aligns with both our essential and desired qualifications.
Location & Hours of Operations
- Climate Power is a remote-first organization based in DC. This position can be located anywhere in the U.S., but must be able to work Monday - Friday, 9 am - 6 pm EST, plus weekends and evenings as the work dictates.
- Climate Power offers a competitive compensation package including an experience-based salary (please ensure that all relevant experience is included on your resume) and comprehensive benefits, including the following:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance 100% paid for employee 50% for their dependents
- Unlimited Paid Time off, including every other Friday and extended summer, fall, and winter breaks
- 401(k) with 5% match
- Education Assistance, including student loan repayment program
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly Tech Allowance
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Work From Home Stipend for home office furniture
- Employee Wellness & Treat Yourself Funds
Our Hiring Timeline and Process
- We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will continue to interview until the position is filled (posting will remain up until the position is filled).
- An ideal start date would be before or by February 29, 2024.
- Climate Power has retained Job Plugs to manage this hiring process, including related communications.
- Our interview process generally involves 3 rounds of interviews, ranging in length from 30-60 minutes. All interviews will be conducted via Google Meets or Zoom. Successful candidates that move forward in the hiring process, will be invited to complete a skills assessment activity (for which they will receive compensation) and will undergo a vetting process, including reference and background checks to ensure cultural and political alignment.
- Climate Power is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
- Additionally, Climate Power is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Climate Power will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview and hiring process.