Manager, State Political Research
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2024
About Climate Power
Climate Power is an independent strategic communications and paid media operation focused on building the political will and public support for bold climate action. Founded by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, League of Conservation Voters, and Sierra Club, Climate Power integrates hard-hitting research, polling, state and national earned media, digital and paid media to influence the national conversation, embolden leaders to take immediate, bold climate action, and expose climate deniers and their oil and gas lobby allies.
Learn more about our organization and work here: Climate Power: We’re hiring
About This Role
- This is a temporary position to support Climate Power’s work through the election cycle. It is expected that this role will end November 30, 2024.
- Climate Power is seeking to add a Manager, State Political Research to our research department to generate actionable research to generate actionable research focused on climate progress and the politics of climate action in key states.
- Manage internal departmental state political research, overseeing Senior Associates’ and Associates’ contributions to larger projects as needed.
- Lead the research team’s work in target states, including developing research strategy in coordination with the States team.
- Monitor and report on climate action and implementation in states.
- Create daily tracking and reporting systems on climate politics in key states.
- Identify research opportunities for Climate Power to uplift climate accomplishments in key states.
- Generate actionable research that can be used in communications materials, media pitches, and campaign tactics to hold elected officials accountable for blocking climate progress.
- Work with the Research Director and Communications team to pitch research findings to media outlets.
- Work directly with Climate Power’s States team to fulfill research needs.
- Work across the organization to manage research-driven projects and campaigns in the issue area.
- Produce regular newsletters, reports, and reference materials highlighting major developments relating to climate action in key states. Draft reports, fact sheets, and other political research and communications materials.
- Assist with gathering facts for reports and other written research products as directed by the Deputy Research Director.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as need and capacity dictate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 5 years of relevant prior work experience in political research, which may include working for a campaign or issue advocacy organization. Preference for candidates who have experience working on state-based issues or campaigns.
- 2 years of people and/or project management experience; demonstrated success in leading departments and diverse teams and managing complex projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage competing priorities with minimal direct supervision.
- Strong news judgment and knowledge of the political media landscape.
- Strong familiarity with research tools, including LexisNexis and campaign finance filings. Further understanding of upcoming and new internet tools to find information is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google Workplace.
- Interest in climate justice is a plus!
If you do not meet all of the requirements and believe you are a good fit, we encourage you to apply, but be sure to uplift all experience that aligns with both our essential and desired qualifications.
Location & Hours of Operations
- Climate Power is a remote-first organization based in DC. This position can be located anywhere in the U.S., but must be able to work Monday - Friday, 9 am - 6 pm EST, plus weekends and evenings as the work dictates.
- Climate Power offers a competitive compensation package including an experience-based salary (please ensure that all relevant experience is included on your resume) and comprehensive benefits, including the following:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance 100% paid for employee 50% for their dependents
- Unlimited Paid Time off, including every other Friday and extended summer, fall, and winter breaks
- 401(k) with 5% match
- Education Assistance, including student loan repayment program
- Sabbatical Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly Tech Allowance
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Work From Home Stipend for home office furniture
- Employee Wellness & Treat Yourself Funds
Our Hiring Timeline and Process
- We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will continue to interview until the position is filled (posting will remain up until the position is filled).
- An ideal start date would be on or before February 29, 2024. This is a temporary position and is expected to run through November 30, 2024.
- Climate Power has retained Job Plugs to manage this hiring process, including related communications.
- Our interview process generally involves 3 rounds of interviews, ranging from 30-60 minutes. All interviews will be conducted via Google Meets or Zoom. Successful candidates that move forward in the hiring process, will be invited to complete a skills assessment activity (for which they will receive compensation) and will undergo a vetting process, including reference and background checks to ensure cultural and political alignment.
- Climate Power is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
- Additionally, Climate Power is committed to fully including all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Climate Power will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the interview and hiring process.
- If reasonable accommodation is needed in the interview process, please firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests for updates in the hiring/interview process or other solicitations should not be sent to this email.