Director of Development
Code for America
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Director of Development who will drive long-term strategies and lead the current development team to accomplish ambitious fundraising goals across the organization.
As of October 27, 2023, Code for America has reached a CBA (collective bargaining agreement) with Code for America Workers United, affiliated with OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010). This position is not designated as part of Code for America Workers United.
About the Role:
The Director of Development at Code for America will develop and implement fundraising strategies for securing long-term, multi-year contributed / philanthropic revenue from institutional, corporate, and individual funders. This includes meeting annual revenue targets, building and owning funder relationships, prospecting, managing the delivery of concept notes, grant proposals, reports, and more. The goal is to raise significant revenue to support Code for America’s various programs / portfolios and general operating needs.
The Director of Development will report to either our Chief Revenue Officer or Chief Executive Officer. This role includes up to 15% travel.
In this position you will:
Revenue planning, strategy and execution | 50%
- Resource Code for America programs and meet outlined revenue targets, across all revenue types, including foundations, corporations, and major donors
- Plan for future revenue in collaboration with cross-functional leadership, including Revenue Operations, Programs, Finance, CxO, and Marketing & Communications
- Develop and deliver on a multi year fundraising pipeline
- Coordinate with the Program, Product, and Finance staff to gather required information to produce concept notes, LOI, proposals, budgets, and reports
- Establish pitch strategy across funder groups and design best practices for funder cultivation and stewardship
Prospect research | 25%
- Implement prospect research in coordination with the prospect researcher, including outreach, scheduling and attending meetings, and follow up. Work with the Finance Revenue Operations team to track these efforts to demonstrate results.
Strategic leadership | 20%
- Develop and implement a coordinated, year-round fundraising plan and timetable for major and mid-level gifts, including setting target goals and monitoring ongoing results
- Develop and implement funding strategy, meeting milestones, OKRs, KPIs, and other metrics in service of the fundraising target
- Guide and advise on funding potential in order to inform and drive resource allocation decisions that achieve program goals and organizational mission
- Draft proposal budgets and coordinate with Finance and Senior Program Directors to align on accuracy. Submit funding applications via email, portal or other mechanism, when completed
- Represent development and fundraising to Code for America’s leadership team and to the organization; share expertise and best practices with colleagues under the ethos that ‘everyone is a fundraiser’
Other duties as assigned | 5%
- 7-10 years of professional fundraising experience (including grant writing experience);
- 3+ years of experience in a management role or leading a team;
- Demonstrated track record of meeting revenue goals;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Data management and CRM experience (preference for Salesforce experience)
- Strong process and project execution skills;
- Highly organized with careful attention to detail;
- Flexible and adaptable, and able to successfully juggle competing priorities and last-minute deadlines;
- Demonstrated success in building strong relationships across teams;
- Ability to work collaboratively and thoughtfully with cross functional teams;
- Enjoy working in a high growth, fast-paced environment with high standards of excellence;
- Passion for and commitment to Code for America mission, vision, and values.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Personal experience with or professional experience working within the criminal-legal system, social safety net or other mission-relevant government services
What you’ll get
Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires.
The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from $121,869 to $149,188 annually.
Benefits and perks:
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (DE&I)
- A collaborative, cross-functional, hardworking and fun environment
Medical & Retirement:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds up to 3%
- Bi annual 360 review process alongside compensation reviews
- $1000 annual (per calendar year) stipend towards professional development
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- Flexible working hours- Full time employees work 40 hours however we aim to hold all internal meetings between 10 AM - 3 PM PT
- Code for America employees may work remotely across the US
- Code for America employees may not work remotely outside of the US at anytime during their employment
Employee enablement support:
- $200 stipend in first paycheck for remote environment setup
- Additional equipment reimbursement of up to $500 for remote enablement
- Cell phone and/or internet reimbursement of $50 per month
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.