Associate Director of Development
Code for America
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the new digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Associate Director of Development who will develop strategies and meet ambitious fundraising / revenue goals to support the organization's mission, vision, and impact.
As of October 27, 2023, Code for America has reached a CBA (collective bargaining agreement) with Code for America Workers United, affiliated with OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010). This position is not designated as part of Code for America Workers United.
About the Role:
The Associate Director of Development will develop and implement a comprehensive strategy to meet annually designated revenue goals for fundraising from institutional, corporate, individual, and government funders.
You’ll report to a Senior Leader on the Development team, and will have support from across Code for America to accomplish ambitious and exciting goals by identifying and implementing strategies to grow our resource base.
This role will require some travel to meet with funders and Code for America program teams (approx. 5 - 10 % of the time).
In this Position You Will:
- Revenue Planning, Strategy, and Execution:
- Work with an amazing team to raise millions of dollars in order to help government work, starting with the people who need it most
- Devise and execute a development strategy for existing and prospective funders, and build and oversee a blended portfolio made up of prospects and current funders. Responsibilities will include: reaching out to and engaging funders to have introductory meetings; moving funders through the pipeline and converting them to donors; coordinating with all internal stakeholders to cultivate and engage new prospects.
- Drive cultivation and stewardship plan including: support meeting prep, create decks, ensure follow up, create and manage process for funder touchpoints, invite funders to events, and draft correspondence.
- Partner with the Revenue Operations team to ensure all contacts, accounts, opportunities, and pipeline information is entered into and maintained in Salesforce.
- Coordinate with the other members of the Development Team as well as Program and Finance staff to gather required information to produce concept notes, LOIs, proposals, budgets, and reports. Submits funder materials via email, portal or other mechanism when completed.
- Prospect Research:
- Build out Code for America’s funder base by researching and identifying prospects, and making initial contact with prospects to tell Code for America’s story.
- Strategic Leadership:
- Partner with Code for America Program staff to guide and advise on funding potential in order to inform and drive resource allocation decisions that achieve program goals and organizational mission
- Other duties as assigned
- 5-7+ years professional fundraising experience, sales, or similar background
- Demonstrated track record of meeting revenue goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive and persistent with outreach, follow up, and engagement
- Highly organized with careful attention to detail
- Must be energetic, flexible, adaptable, and positive
- Enjoy working in a high growth, fast-paced environment with high standards of excellence
- Willingness to travel up to 10% time (health and safety permitting)
- Passion for and commitment to Code for America mission, vision, and values
It’s a Bonus if You Have:
- Personal experience with or professional experience working within the criminal-legal system, social safety net or other mission-relevant government services
What you’ll get
Code for America’s salary bands are transparent as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency in the recruitment process. As part of our equitable hiring practices, we target the 2nd quartile midpoint number of each salary band, for all new hires.
Offer targets vary based on market / geographic location. The target offer numbers for this role range from $108,503 - $132,825, annually.
Benefits and perks:
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (DE&I)
- A collaborative, cross-functional, hardworking, and fun environment
- Medical & Retirement:
- Full benefits package with options up to 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans
- Employer contributes up to 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- Retirement & 401k Plans:
- Employees under 3 years eligible for a 100% employer match of up to 3% of employee contribution
- Employees with 3+ years eligible for an additional 50% employer contribution over 3%, to a maximum of 5%
- Professional Development:
- $1000 annual (per calendar year) stipend towards professional development; prorated at time of hire
- Up to $1000 of professional development funds can be rolled over each year, up to a maximum of $2000
- Remote Work and Time Off:
- Full-time employees work 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday
- We aim to hold all internal meetings between 10 AM - 3 PM PT; we expect all Code for America staff to be available during these set collaborative working hours
- Code for America employees may not work remotely outside of the US
- Open personal time off, a minimum of 16 paid holidays, and an org-wide closure Christmas Day through New Years Day
- Paid sick time; up to 96 hours annually
- Competitive paid parental and family leave
- 4 weeks of paid sabbatical after 4 years of service, with an option of up to 4 additional weeks of unpaid time away
- Collaborative working hours:
- Code for America employees may work remotely across the US:
- Employee Enablement Support:
- $200 stipend in first paycheck for remote environment setup
- Additional equipment reimbursement of up to $500 for remote enablement
- Cell phone and/or internet reimbursement of $50 per month
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.