Multimedia Reporter- Virginia
Who We Are
At Courier Newsroom, we empower individuals and communities through local reporting that helps people understand and affect the issues impacting their lives. We believe that by investing in the work of local journalists across the country we can positively impact civic participation and build a healthier democracy from the ground up. Through original reporting and human-focused storytelling, we highlight the issues and forces that shape our lives while calling attention to the impacts of policy-making and political action at the local level. We are a rapidly growing team with new ideas on how to change the landscape of this world.
Courier Newsroom is presently looking to fill the position of Multimedia Reporter in Virginia, under our Civic News department. Our primary goal is to report on the key political and policy developments in our states and cover how they impact people’s day-to-day lives. Our Virginia team has a particular emphasis on lifting up the voices of Virginians and their personal economic struggles, as well as the policies that could address those.
This Multimedia Reporter reports to the Virginia Chief Political Correspondent, and is responsible for producing stories, video, graphics and other content that center the core audience by offering the news and information that resonates most with them.
This role will also work some with our Community department on more local or lifestyle-related news content as part of our effort to build up our network’s audience.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Writing at least two site articles a week, using original reporting, along with 2-3 news briefs per week
- Writing at least two human-centered stories per month, finding and interviewing local Virginians about their concerns and lives
- Pitching and producing news graphics, short videos, and other content for our social platforms
- Doing occasional narrated or presenter-led videos to explain a story you reported on
- Collecting video from Virginia political events (i.e. press conferences, legislative debates, rallies, debates, etc.) and turning them into brief video news content
- Creating simple graphics, such as quote cards, in Canva
- Utilizing audience insights and performance data to inform story/content pitches
- Working alongside the state team’s Social Media Manager on best practices to maintain the property’s brand style and tone
- Supporting initiatives aimed at demonstrating a deepening level of loyalty among our audience, such as polls, surveys, and events
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A passion for earning the trust of our core audience by delivering the news and information they’re searching for
- 2+ years of experience using creative storytelling to tell relevant and compelling stories in Virginia, ranging from “news you can use” to human-centered features
- An understanding of Virginia politics and the key players involved
- An interest in better understanding performance data and audience insights and how that can inform impactful storytelling
- An eagerness to collaborate with team members who have complementary skills.
- An ability to work effectively with multidisciplinary stakeholders across the company
- A strong grasp on AP style.
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Slight preference for people who live in the Hampton Roads or Richmond area given where our current team resides.
Courier Newsroom offers the following benefits:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO), 11 paid holidays a year
- Full suite of health benefits
- Flexible working arrangements
Courier Newsroom is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.
Salary Range: $52,000 - $80,000