Community Editor- New Hampshire
Who We Are
At Courier Newsroom, we empower people and communities to connect with the news, opportunities, and issues impacting their lives. We believe that giving local journalists stronger platforms, access to audience data, and opportunities to grow with—not against—changing social media trends can significantly impact civic participation in a state—and build a healthier democracy from the ground up.
Through original reporting, kitchen-table storytelling, and approachable explainers, we’re passionate about making the news real—and interesting—to our audience. We’re a rapidly growing team with new ideas on how to change the political landscape of this world.
Courier Newsroom’s Community Department is currently seeking to hire a new Community Editor based in New Hampshire.
The primary goal of our Community Department is to build trust and deepen engagement with our core audience—passive news consumers and Americans who typically get most of their news and information from social media and via newsletters. The editors and writers in this department cover human interest stories, local happenings, events, and news outside of politics; share useful information on the local/state level; produce multimedia content about the shared experience of living in our state; create opportunities to lift up voices that often go unheard in the media; and more.
The Community Editor reports to the VP of Community Content, and is responsible for:
(1) executing a community content strategy that centers people who call New Hampshire home by offering the news and information that resonates most with them;
(2) writing and editing website articles, producing video and graphics optimized for social media; and eventually launching and taking ownership of a state-based newsletter product;
(3) serving as the state’s de facto team lead, representing the newsroom on wider company calls.
We’re a fully remote team, but applicants must live in New Hampshire and maintain EST business hours.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Working with the VP of Community Content and Editorial Director to identify the topics and issues that resonate most with our core audience in New Hampshire to build out a state-specific community content strategy
- Producing an average of 2-4 news graphics, videos, and other content per day for our social platforms (and eventually an email product) that are relevant and useful to our audience
- Writing at least five site articles a week, using original reporting and/or news aggregation, and best SEO practices. (This will change upon launch of our newsletter)
- Working with stakeholders across the company on various efforts to support companywide goals, including, but not limited to, producing engaging social content that is highly share-able; growing our audiences on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and potentially other content platforms; pitching and potentially launching new niche products aimed at building community with our audience; more
- Supporting and at times leading initiatives aimed at better understanding our audience, such as polls and surveys, and utilizing those learnings to inform content strategy
- Schedule and publish social media content as needed until newsroom is scaled and a social media manager is hired
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A passion for earning the trust of our core audience by delivering the news and information they’re searching for
- 3+ years of experience using creative storytelling to tell relevant and compelling stories in New Hampshire, ranging from “news you can use” to human-centered features to SEO-friendly lifestyle listicles
- 3+ years of experience editing content using original reporting or information aggregated from social media, news releases, and articles from other news outlets
- Experience with creating content for newsletters and an interest in better understanding how to drive open and click-through rates and build a loyal subscriber base
- An eagerness to collaborate with team members who have complementary skills.
- An ability to work effectively with multidisciplinary stakeholders across the company
- A strong grasp on AP style.
- Strong people, project and time management skills.
Additionally: Aside from supporting our mission, the ideal candidate for our Community Editor based in New Hampshire also has a track record of leading by example, being proactive about communication (including having hard conversations when they’re warranted), helping to foster an inclusive work culture, and embracing innovation and adaptation by not being afraid to try new things.
Courier Newsroom offers the following benefits:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO), 11 paid holidays a year
- Full suite of health benefits
- Flexible working arrangements
Courier Newsroom is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.