Political Correspondent- New Hampshire
Our New Hampshire Political Correspondent is responsible for leading our state political coverage to connect important policy decisions to New Hampshirites day-to-day lives in a brand new civic newsroom. They will execute our political coverage and underwriting content strategy, as well as develop a personal brand as a go-to voice for civic impact content in the state. In addition, this role requires fostering and maintaining relationships with key political stakeholders in the state.
The Political Correspondent will report to the National Political Editor, with strategic coverage steers and underwriting assignments from the National Political Director.
This is a fully remote position within the state of New Hampshire that will require some weekend work/flexible scheduling and time in Concord/covering the state legislature. In addition to a base salary, Courier Newsroom offers a competitive benefits package, including a full suite of healthcare benefits, paid time off, and a flexible working arrangement.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop a deep understanding of mission and core audience for the state, and best practices for communicating with that audience
- Execute a weekly budget for political coverage content that is developed in collaboration with the senior leadership of political and partnerships
- Develop 3-5 original reporting content packages a month that connect the dots with policy and real world impact through human-centered, localized stories
- Break news at least once a quarter (with a goal of demonstrated and meaningful impact as defined by the National Political Director and National Political Editor)
- Work collaboratively with the Community Editor, Social Media Manager and other staff in your state to ensure state teams for cohesive content production and targeted, strategic audience development/engagement
- Pitch content ideas and products that tie directly to the mission of our civic impact work
- Meet all deadlines for underwriting content with high quality, strategic work
- Meet weekly goals for content metrics by delivering high quality content, leveraging an always developing personal network and collaborating with state content organizers to amplify content pieces
- Develop strategies in coordination with the National Political Editor and Content Organizing Team on how to further improve our content’s reach
- Work to build a personal brand through an active Twitter and/or TikTok presence
- Build connections with political and community leaders/staff in the state
- Utilize resources and messaging guidance provided by senior political and partnership leadership
- Ensure all political coverage graphics and videos are branded with consistency and match community/local news content as well.
The ideal candidate will
- Have 3-5+ years’ experience in political reporting/content creation or similar communications work
- Want to be a part of a new media model that meets people where they are– most often on social platforms– and looking to leverage their talents to protect democracy through left-leaning, factual, relevant information rooted in shared values and community well-being
- Have a desire to grow (or already have) an audience as a political content creator
- Have experience using Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and other social platforms.
- Be able to produce compelling social media posts that delivers key information to our audience in five seconds or less
- Be comfortable in front of a camera
- Have experience using Canva or Photoshop
- Have experience editing videos
- Have a grasp of AP Style
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong sense of voice and tone.
- Have experience with or a willingness to learn WordPress
- Have experience with or a willingness to learn Sprout and/or Creator Studio for social media publishing
- Be able to pivot/switch direction as priorities and projects change.
- Be comfortable in a startup environment
- Demonstrate an eagerness to collaborate as part of a cross-functional state team and COURIER network Civic Impact team
Equal opportunity employer
Courier Newsroom is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.