Newsletter Product Manager
Who We Are
At Courier Newsroom, we empower individuals and communities through local reporting that helps people understand and affect the issues impacting their lives. We believe that by investing in the work of local journalists across the country we can positively impact civic participation and build a healthier democracy from the ground up. Through original reporting and human-focused storytelling, we highlight the issues and forces that shape our lives while calling attention to the impacts of policy-making and political action at the local level. We are a rapidly growing team with new ideas on how to change the landscape of this world.
Courier Newsroom is presently looking to fill the position of Newsletter Product Manager. This position reports to the SVP of Growth. This role will focus on optimizing Courier’s newsletter program (at least 8 Newsletters across 8 States) in terms of deliverability, growth performance , audience segmentation and engagement.
We are looking for an individual who has proven experience in developing successful newsletter programs in terms of performance (high open and click rates), implementation of effective organic and paid growth strategies, development of audience segmentations & insights and driving newsletter revenue.
This is a fully remote team that mainly works on EST hours. Remote candidates based in the U.S. are welcome to apply as long as they are able to maintain E.S.T. business hours.
The Newsletter Product Manager will be responsible for the duties outlined below.
- Work with cross functional partners (Growth & Audience Development, Community, Editorial, Data, Sales and Finance) to identify and deliver against shared goals and objectives for Newsletter growth and performance.
- Drive Newsletter growth initiatives including a referral program, partnerships, cross-promotions, new content initiatives and other.
- Work closely with editorial teams to optimize newsletter content for open, click and retention rates and decrease unsubscribe rates
- Share newsletter user segment knowledge across the organization through digestible monthly and ad hoc newsletter KPI reports.
- Cultivate and expand the number of active newsletter subscribers by focusing on quality subscribers and re-engagement campaigns.
- Optimize conversion funnels, retain subscribers, and strategize around deliverability.
- Work with editorial teams to decrease unsubscribe rates
- Drive and optimize key traffic and revenue metrics including CTR, open rates, click rates engagement, acquisition, and retention.
- Work with Courier’s Design team to optimize newsletter templates, designs and brands.
- Work with the Revenue Team to drive national, regional and state-level advertising and sponsorship opportunities to increase newsletter revenue
- Analyze top of funnel user behaviors for newsletters to identify and execute new ways to engage and grow our newsletter audience.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 3+ years of experience in Product Management or product-related work (e.g. Product Marketing, Strategy, or Growth)
- Ability to work collaboratively across engineering, design, editorial, and growth teams
- Experience with ESPs- Sailthru experience preferably
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to execute items quickly, work under pressure, and handle time-sensitive items
- Passion for progressive politics and desire to use new media to reinvigorate local news
- Interest or prior experience in a fast-growth startup environment a plus
- Prior experience in media, journalism, or civic engagement preferred
Courier Newsroom offers the following benefits:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO), 11 paid holidays a year
- Full suite of health benefits
- Flexible working arrangements
Courier Newsroom is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.