Multimedia Reporter Nevada
Who We Are
At COURIER Newsroom, we empower people and communities to connect with the news, opportunities, and issues impacting their lives. We believe that giving local journalists stronger platforms, access to audience data, and opportunities to grow with—not against—changing social media trends can significantly impact civic participation in a state—and build a healthier democracy from the ground up.
Through original reporting, kitchen-table storytelling, and approachable explainers, we’re passionate about making the news real—and interesting—to our audience. We’re a rapidly growing team with new ideas on how to change the political landscape of this world.
COURIER is currently seeking a new Multimedia Reporter for our new Nevada newsroom, The Nevadan / El Nevadense.
The primary goal of our Community Department is to build trust and deepen engagement with our “core audience”—passive news consumers and Americans who typically get most of their news and information from social media and via newsletters. In Nevada, we are hyper focused on building community with Latinos who live in Southern Nevada.
The Multimedia Reporter is responsible for producing articles, video, graphics and other content that center the core audience by offering the news and information that resonates most with them. This includes sharing useful information on the state and local level (think “news you can use”); producing multimedia content about the shared experience of living in our state; and creating opportunities to lift up voices that often go unheard in the media.
The Multimedia Reporter is also expected to support the goals of the Politics Department by contributing reporting on key political and policy developments in Nevada, with special attention to covering how those decisions impact people’s day-to-day lives. That may include the state legislative session, campaign coverage, and the efforts by local political organizations.
Because this person will produce both Community and Political content, they will work closely with The Nevadan’s Community Editor and Political Correspondent.
We’re a fully remote team, but applicants must live in Nevada. Being bilingual/fluent in Spanish with experience producing Spanish-first content is a major plus.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Pitching and producing an average of 2-4 news graphics, videos, and other content per day for our social platforms that are relevant and useful to the audience we’re building in Nevada
- Writing at least three site articles a week, using original reporting and/or best practices for aggregation
- Doing standups and/or voice-overs for video stories
- Creating simple graphics, such as headline and quote cards, in Canva
- Utilizing audience insights and performance data to inform story/content pitches
- Working alongside the state team’s Social Media Manager on best practices to maintain the property’s brand style and tone
- Supporting initiatives aimed at demonstrating a deepening level of loyalty among our audience, such as polls, surveys, and events
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A passion for earning the trust of our core audience by delivering the news and information they’re searching for
- 2+ years of experience using creative storytelling to tell relevant and compelling stories in Nevada, ranging from “news you can use” to human-centered features to SEO-friendly lifestyle listicles
- An interest in better understanding performance data and audience insights and how that can inform impactful storytelling
- An eagerness to collaborate with team members who have complementary skills.
- An ability to work effectively with multidisciplinary stakeholders across the company
- A strong grasp on AP style.
- Strong project and time management skills.
Courier Newsroom offers the following benefits:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO), 11 paid holidays a year
- Full suite of health benefits
- Flexible working arrangements
Courier Newsroom is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.