Account Executive: Political & Advocacy Advertising
Director of Engineering
Location: Remote within the U.S.
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. We produce news you can do something about. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
We are seeking a Director of Engineering with direct and applicable engineering experience who will lead a smart and motivated team of developers in evolving the Daily Kos stack to a services-oriented architecture. The director of engineering will work closely with the Vice President of Engineering to realize the organization’s goals.
- Manage and mentor Engineering Managers
- Partner with the Vice President of Engineering to implement strategic vision for the applications team
- Foster a spirit of collaboration and transparency
- Effectively communicate technical vision organizationally
- Collaborate with direct reports and individual contributors to scope, design, and deliver solutions for large, complex challenges in the Daily Kos platform
- Partner with team members to deliver high quality product releases in suitable time frames
- Actively participate in architectural planning and implementation
- Clearly communicate technical issues and tie work to company objectives
- Design for scale and reliability with the future in mind and do critical R&D
- Guide team members through persistently debugging the toughest issues through the entire stack regardless of environment, finding root cause or a viable workaround
- Drive foundational work benefiting their domain and engineering overall
- De-escalate conflicts and build consensus between team members about technical matters
- At least 5 years of management experience preferably in a 100% remote company
- At least 5 years building and architecting ruby on rails or react projects
- Strong familiarity of MySQL, PostgreSQL, AWS, Varnish, and Redis
- Solid understanding of Linux
- Experience with large and complex code bases, utilizing API design techniques to help keep code clean and maintainable
- Strong and proven people leadership skills
- Deep understanding of modern web application best practices
- Thought leader highly skilled in making technical decisions, influencing architecture, and prioritization across multiple teams
- Ability to anticipate technical challenges, explore alternatives and trade-offs thoroughly
- In-depth understanding of full stack; can navigate and make legacy code maintainable
- Focused on defining patterns and operational guidelines for your domain
- Capable of successfully planning and delivering complex, multi-team, or system projects
- Identifies problems that need to be solved and advocates for their prioritization
- Able to reduce unneeded complexity
- Excellent communication skills, primarily in a virtual work environment
- Willingness to travel occasionally for events or retreats
Salary range: $175,000 - $200,000
Daily Kos is proud to deliver a strong total rewards program to our employees.
The position offers:
Remote-first work environment
Paid employee medical, dental and vision benefits
Access to a Health Advocate
401K with a 5% company match
9 Company-paid holidays
6 weeks vacation
Paid Sick Time
Traumatic Grief Leave
Paid parental/family/medical leave
Remote Worker Stipend
Professional Development Stipend
Employee Referral Bonus Program
Flex Spending Account
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Company paid short & long term disability
Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness benefit
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time, exempt position and reports to the Vice President of Engineering. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. In addition, our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long-term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures helps us be more effective activists. We are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with backgrounds and talents energized by the news events and people united by a common cause. We love learning and support training for employees to continue career growth.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Note: No Soliciting. Daily Kos does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee.
Something looks off?