Dara Gold LLC is hiring a Data Engineer to help a team of mathematicians and computer scientists draw and evaluate congressional and state-legislative redistricting plans. The team will be contracting with a top-tier law firm to consult in their redistricting litigation.
The successful candidate will help in all stages of the map generation and evaluation process: matching precinct-level election returns and Census data to shapefiles, geocoding addresses and researching candidates in past statewide elections, running - and helping to develop! - our map generation algorithms, using AWS to scale algorithm runs, designing map evaluation and visualization tools and writing code to help refine maps in their final stages.
The ideal candidates would have at least some of the following experience/skillset:
- Working with shapefiles, GIS, and GeoPanda
- Coding proficiency in Python (pandas, matplotlib), and Julia (a plus)
- Familiarity with census data and Census API
- Working with precinct shapefiles
- Collecting and cleaning election returns
- Merging data to shapefiles at different levels of geography
- Working with AWS and cloud computing
- Data scraping/web scraping
- Designing and implementing algorithms
We are open to full-time or part-time work for the next four to six months, starting as soon as possible. The salary for full-time work is $80k-$110k annually depending on experience, which would be pro-rated to the contract length.
To apply, please email a resume & two references to: email@example.com.