Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Democratic National Committee
Accounting & Finance
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2023
The Payroll & Benefits Specialist is responsible for the overall management and operation of the payroll function and the administration of benefits for the DNC. This includes ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations; developing and implementing policies and procedures; managing payroll processing and systems and administering benefits. The Payroll & Benefits Specialist works closely with other members of the HR team, as well as Accounting, to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing. The individual must be highly organized and detail-oriented, with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
The Payroll & Benefits Specialist will be a subject matter expert in all aspects of benefits administration, payroll, automation, design, and communications and will build strong relationships, generate trust, and build a high degree of credibility with senior leadership and ensure the efficient and effective operation of all benefit programs. This position works closely with the Director of People and Culture.
- Assure payroll deductions for employee contributions including insurance and garnishments
- Responsible for processing year-end information including W2s
- Ensure accurate processing, reconciliation, and recordkeeping of multi-state payrollResolve escalated payroll issues and/or discrepancies
- Create ad-hoc wage and management reports, including workers’ compensation information
- Overall responsibility for system management, user training, and operational procedures
- Project lead for payroll-related projects, including continuous development of processes that are scalable and support the company’s growth
- Ensures the Team is consistently maintaining excellent customer service with team members and external parties
- Research discrepancies in payroll information on a timely basis to ensure accuracy and prior to processing
- Perform analysis, generate reports, and assist with special projects
- Develops various benefit strategies with the support of vendors to host informative workshops for the organization throughout the year
- Establishes and leads effective benefits communication strategy to effectively inform employees and ensures that accurate, up-to-date forms, materials, and program descriptions are available
- Provide leadership, expertise, advice, and direction on health, and retirement programs, including but not limited to plan design, development, automation, implementation, and administration of benefits programs
- Develop, write, and design benefit-related policies and procedures and ensure proper implementation and communication of those policies
- Responsible for and anages open enrollment and related activities
- Audit workflows and reconciliations to ensure data accuracy and compliance while identifying ways to take full advantage of options to minimize manual interventions and optimize automated processes
- Review and analyze changes in federal, state, and local laws pertaining to benefits, and report necessary or suggested changes to management
- Demonstrate a high level of customer service by providing timely responses, information, and support to staff on all aspects of Benefit programs
- Develop and direct strategies for internal and external customer service
- Communicate the value of benefit offerings and programs
- Serve as the primary point of contact for benefits vendors. Manage relationships and the exchange of information with insurance carriers and external brokers for claim and utilization data, enrollment information, and negotiating renewals
- Manage eligibility and the overlap of regulations and be able to communicate complex policies and regulations to employees and family members. Develop processes to monitor and maintain communication with employees and managers regarding their leaves
- Ensure compliance with relevant federal and statutory regulations and requirements, including but not limited to FMLA, ERISA, COBRA, HIPAA, etc., for assigned employee benefit programs
- Supervises preparation of reports and applications required to be filed with agencies, such as the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissions, etc.
- Responsible for benefits audits and filings including 5500
- Minimum 4 years prior experience
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP is strongly preferred
- Advanced Google Sheets skills including v-lookups and pivot tables
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working experience and knowledge of payroll taxes at the federal, state, and local levels
- Strong knowledge of current payroll and HRIS systems
- Experience with electronic payments and filing of federal and state payroll taxes
- Critical thinker, innovative, and solution focused
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to multi-task with extreme attention to detail
- Approach work with big-picture thinking and seeks opportunities for the organization.
Salary: The starting salary for the Payroll and Benefits Specialist position is $75,000, on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is not eligible for overtime wages.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
The DNC requires all employees to be "up to date" on COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the CDC as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, vacation, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 4% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.