Coalitions Finance Director
Democratic National Committee
Accounting & Finance
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2023
The Coalitions Finance Director is a key leadership position within the Finance Department that is responsible for developing and executing comprehensive fundraising strategies to support the financial sustainability and growth of the organization's coalitions. Coalitions include but are not limited to the AAPI Leadership Council, Black Leadership Council, Labor, Latino Leadership Council, LGBTQ+ Leadership Council, and the Women’s Leadership Forum.
The Coalitions Finance Director will lead a team of individual Coalition Directors and a Finance Coalitions Associate and work collaboratively with coalition leaders and other stakeholders to secure funding, cultivate strong donor relationships, and achieve fundraising goals. The Coalitions Finance Director will collaborate closely with internal and external stakeholders, lead the planning and execution of various coalition fundraising events, and will play a vital role in ensuring the continued success of the coalitions' initiatives and programs.
We act on our belief that the movement to ensure representation of Democrats up and down the ballot will succeed if it is diverse, inclusive, and equitable in every respect. In particular, we value the credibility & perspective of identities that have been historically and systemically marginalized and what they bring to the DNC and to our country.
We welcome candidates from a variety of backgrounds and especially encourage those who identify with historically underrepresented groups to apply.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and mentorship to a team of Coalitions Directors and a Finance Coalitions Associate.
- Set performance goals, conduct regular evaluations, and support the professional development of team members.
- Collaborate closely with coalition leaders, program managers, and other internal stakeholders to align fundraising efforts with coalition priorities.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, and excellence within the fundraising team.
- Develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan in alignment with coalition objectives and organizational goals.
- Identify fundraising opportunities and innovative approaches to diversify revenue streams for the coalitions.
- Set fundraising targets and develop action plans to achieve them.
- Conduct ongoing analysis of fundraising performance, track key metrics, and adjust strategies as needed.
- Identify, cultivate, and steward relationships with individual donors, partners, foundations, and other potential funding sources.
- Develop and implement donor engagement strategies, including cultivation events, personalized communications, and recognition programs.
- Collaborate with coalition leaders to leverage their networks and engage them in fundraising efforts.
- Ensure timely and accurate donor acknowledgments and recognition.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute various fundraising events throughout the year.
- Develop and implement fundraising campaigns and strategies to engage supporters and increase donor participation.
- Manage event budgets, vendor relationships, and volunteer resources effectively.
- Evaluate event and campaign outcomes and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Other duties as assigned to support the department and the DNC's mission
Team Leadership and Collaboration:
Fundraising Strategy and Planning:
Donor Cultivation and Stewardship:
Fundraising Events and Campaigns:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in fundraising or a related field, with a proven track record of achieving successful results.
- Proven leadership abilities, with experience in managing a team and fostering a collaborative work environment.
- Strong understanding of fundraising principles, techniques, and best practices.
- Experience in developing and implementing comprehensive strategies and plans.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage and inspire external stakeholders.
- Experience in managing events, including budgeting and logistics.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to leverage data and metrics for informed decision-making.
- Ability to and interest in learning new fundraising softwares, donor databases, and online fundraising platforms and utilizing these to reach goals.
- Passion for the mission and goals of the coalitions and a strong commitment to social impact.
Skills we would like to see:
- Fundraising experience within political campaigns, nonprofits, or coalition-based organizations.
- Demonstrated ability in building and maintaining relationships with donors, sponsors, and funding agencies.
- Proficiency in Google Suite.
- Experience using the NGP VAN system to track and manage fundraising data
The starting salary for the Coalitions Finance Director position is $110,000-120,000 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This full-time position is not eligible for overtime wages and is not in the bargaining unit represented by SEIU Local-500.
The Coalitions Finance Director position will require travel up to 25% of the time.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
The DNC requires all employees to be "up to date" on COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the CDC as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, vacation, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 4% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.