Spring 2024: DNC Design Internship
Democratic National Committee
Posted on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
Welcome to the DNC Internship Application! The DNC is accepting applications for our Spring 2024 Internship Program!
Interning at the DNC is a unique opportunity for hardworking, passionate future leaders to gain real life, hands-on experience in Democratic politics, strengthen their understanding of the political process, and prepare them for future political opportunities.
Internships are available within various departments. Each department offers you a unique learning experience – learn more about each department here.
The program will run from Monday, February 5 to Friday, April 24, 2023, and will be conducted in a hybrid format. Interns who are based in the Washington D.C. area will have an opportunity to perform in-person work for the DNC at the Democratic National Headquarters and DNC events. You must be located in the United States to apply for this internship.
The DNC Internship Program provides a stipend of $3,600. Housing is not provided. During the upcoming term, interns are expected to work 20 hours per week.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, December 20, 2023.
Who we are...
The Design Team is a part of the Mobilization Team at the DNC. Our goal is to make creative efforts to help educate people on complicated issues with striking creativity, as well as supporting and electing Democrats across the country.
The deliverables vary, but we support our Mobilization sub-teams by:
- Creating graphics for our social accounts
- Creating email graphics
- Creating digital ads
- Creating merchandise to sell on the store
- Assisting on any marketing deliverables
- Occasionally creating print materials in the form of event signage, backdrops, and flyers
In a DNC Design internship, you’ll learn and design within an established brand identity, while coming up with creative solutions for existing deliverables. You’ll interact with many different people on the Mobilization Team and have opportunities to collaborate with people across various departments in the organization. A DNC Design intern will gain an understanding of how to communicate with and educate the public on issues in modern campaigns and political work using design to help deliver our message. The internship will provide hands-on design work experience (and some politics experience). You’ll be part of the Fall 2023 DNC intern class, and will occasionally participate in activities and DNC support with interns from other DNC teams.
- Work on a range of projects from digital to print deliverables
- Create and design social graphics, merchandise, emails, and more
- Learn project and time management skills
- Learn new tools and techniques to speed up your workflow
- Assist the Operations team by attending weekly phone shifts;
- Attend mandatory onboarding/offboarding sessions;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and have basic understanding of the rest of the Adobe Suite
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and occasional rapid response situations
- Detailed-oriented, self-starter, and well-organized
- Strong communication skills and enjoy talking to people with many different perspectives and work experiences
- Familiar with current design trends
- Applicants must be 18 years of age on or before the first day of the internship and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a college, community college, or university (two-to-four year institution). It is highly recommended that applicants complete at least one full term prior to submitting an application.
- Graduated from an undergraduate or graduate program at a college, community college, or university (two-to-four year institution) no more than two years before the first day of the internship.
- A veteran of the United States Armed Forces who possesses a high school diploma or its equivalent and has served on active duty, for any length of time, in the two years preceding the first day of the internship.
- Commitment of 20 hours per week during the program
- Physically present in the United States to participate in this internship program
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
Required Application Materials:
- Portfolio and Graphic Design Samples
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its interns. The DNC internship program is provided on an equal opportunity basis without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the application process and during the internship, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
The DNC requires all employees to be "up to date" on COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the CDC as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.