Democratic National Committee
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
The DNCC is seeking a highly motivated and resourceful Legal Counsel to provide key support for the Democratic National Committee Convention. Legal Counsel will provide accurate, relevant, and timely advice on a variety of legal topics that relate to the party convention, with a focus on the business operations of the DNCC. This role will manage the organization’s operational legal affairs and duties include negotiating contracts, numerous licensing arrangements, providing expert advice and counsel regarding various legal and regulatory aspects of the DNCC’s work.
- The Legal Counsel reports to the Senior Director of Finance & Budget
- The Legal Counsel works in close collaboration with outside counsel and DNC Legal Counsel
- Provide counsel to DNCC departments on a variety of legal issues
- Negotiate, review, draft and provide advice on a broad range of contracts and agreements on behalf of the DNCC, including contracts with vendors, construction contracts, media agreements, venue license agreements, etc.
- Manage, negotiate, and draft a wide variety of licensing agreements concerning music, images, video, performances and other media
- Provide counsel on business operations of the DNCC
- Provide legal support and advice on campaign finance laws and regulations, including, but not limited to FEC compliance and report filing, permissible expenditures, and fundraising (e.g., contribution limits, use of joint fundraising committees)
- Conduct legal analysis, provide strategic advice, and ensure that all interests of the organization are appropriately represented
- Assist with party governance matters
- Draft thoughtful, organized and clear documents, including, but not limited to analysis/advice memoranda, training materials and presentations
- Provide counsel on employment issues
- Manage operational legal matters of the DNCC
- Coordinate with DNC Legal Counsel to ensure consistency of policy and procedure with the DNC
- Work with the Chicago 2024 Host Committee legal department
- Performs other duties as assigned to support the department and the DNC's mission
- Juris Doctor from an ABA accredited law school
- At least 5-7 years of work experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Admitted to practice and in good standing in Illinois
- Significant experience negotiating and drafting a wide range of business contracts is essential (and ideally also with some experience on media licensing agreements specifically)
- Experience in providing general corporate and business legal advice to complex organizations
- Campaign finance experience preferred
- Experience building and sustaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple, high priority projects with attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to negotiate effectively, firmly conveying the DNCC’s position and finding suitable solutions/compromises and evaluating the legal and political risks
- Ability to quickly adjust to changing priorities and deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent research, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Strong interest in and knowledge of Democratic politics and principles
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The DNCC will mainly operate out of the Headquarters Office, but will also maintain a number of satellite offices and additional venues. All of these spaces are professional office environments and will require the operation of office equipment such as computers and phones. All employees may request reasonable accommodations to perform their job tasks.
TRAVEL: There is no travel expected for this position.
FLSA ELIGIBILITY: This is an exempt position under the FLSA.
BENEFITS: The DNCC offers a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts and disability and life insurance.