DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES & DEI
Democratic National Committee
People & HR
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
The Director of Human Resources & DEI will be responsible for managing day-to-day HR operations of the Convention, including organizational development, HR & DEI initiatives and programs, employee communications, engagement and relations; payroll and benefits, and compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- From August 19-22, 2024, Democrats from all over the country will gather together in the City of Chicago to participate in the Democratic National Convention, where we will nominate President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris for re-election. The Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) is assembling a diverse team with skills in community engagement, event logistics, finance, operations, IT, and more. The DNCC team will oversee and deliver on all aspects of the planning and execution of this Convention, from housing the delegates to convening Platform Committee meetings to producing the Convention’s live programming, which will be seen by hundreds of millions of people around the world.
- The Director of Human Resources & DEI reports to the Senior Director of People & Operations.
- Direct new-hire orientation and on-boarding process.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for staff regarding all benefits and payroll matters.
- Work closely with the Senior Director of People & Operations to develop, implement, and evaluate employee professional development and learning programs to promote cultural understanding and competence in support of DEI initiatives, and regularly solicit feedback from staff on ways to make the office and Convention experience unique and beneficial.
- Maintain and administer personnel policies, including the employee handbook and job descriptions.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local legal requirements and advise management on needed actions.
- Manage and oversee all HR-related issues including reporting procedures, documenting, investigating, and providing recommended disciplinary for policy violations.
- Support management by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions.
- Work closely with HR staff at the Democratic National Committee in Washington, D.C.
- Willingness to be a proactive team member to help accomplish the goals of the convention.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resources, or related field.
- 7+ years of human resources business partner experience.
- PHR/SPHR or similar related certifications preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in HR and strong leadership skills.
- Familiarity with Illinois and Chicago specific human resource requirements.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Previous experience working with large special events is a plus but not required.
Work Environment/Physical Demands: The DNCC will mainly operate out of the Headquarters Office, but will also maintain a number of satellite offices and additional venues. All of these spaces are professional office environments, and will require the operation of office equipment such as computers, phones, and copy machines. This is a mainly stationary position.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: As soon as possible.
JOB LOCATION: Chicago, IL
TRAVEL: This job will require some travel, less than 10%.
FLSA ELIGIBILITY: This is an exempt position under the FLSA.
BENEFITS: The DNCC offers a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, and disability and life insurance.
HOW TO APPLY: Please go to https://www.demConvention.com/jobs to apply through the portal.