DIRECTOR OF TECHNOLOGY
Democratic National Committee
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
The Director of Technology will oversee the Democratic National Convention Committee’s information and technology infrastructure. This role will be a combination of strategic decision making, personnel management, hands-on problem solving, and both short- and long-term project management. The Director of Technology will be responsible for planning and implementing the IT structure for multiple venues throughout Chicago, including the United Center, McCormick Place, and satellite offices. The Director of Technology must be a strong leader and a team player and will thrive in a startup-like culture with all-hands-on-deck and rapid-response moments.
- From August 19-22, 2024, Democrats from all over the country will gather together in the City of Chicago to participate in the Democratic National Convention, where we will nominate President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris for re-election. The Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) is assembling a diverse team with skills in community engagement, event logistics, finance, operations, IT, and more. The DNCC team will oversee and deliver on all aspects of the planning and execution of this Convention, from housing the delegates to convening Platform Committee meetings to producing the Convention’s live programming, which will be seen by hundreds of millions of people around the world.
- The Director of Technology reports to the Senior Director of People & Operations
- The Director of Technology will oversee a team of 20-25 people, and directly manage 3-5 individuals..
- The Director works in close collaboration with the Senior Advisor of Technology.
- Strategic Oversight: The Director of Technology must have the vision and ability to develop, recommend, direct, execute, and report on strategic initiatives that satisfy technical organizational requirements. The Director of Technology will work in a consultative fashion with senior leadership and department heads as an advisor on technologies that may improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Information Security: The Director of Technology will be responsible for verifying the integrity and safety of all organizational and proprietary data and will be responsible for development of information security methods for emerging threats. In addition to active threats, the Director of Technology will develop and manage disaster recovery policies, procedures, and practices.
- Operations: The Director of Technology is responsible for day-to-day technical operations and 24/7 support of all systems, which include both internal and external facing services. The Director of Technology will work closely with the Chief Technology Officer to manage planning and purchasing related to all technology needs, as well as vendor relationship management.
- Infrastructure: The Director of Technology will provide strategic and tactical solutions for the design, implementation, and support for all networks, virtual and physical servers, systems, and communications infrastructure.
- Application Development: The Director of Technology will be responsible for managing all efforts and staff related to software development, including strategy and planning, project management, and quality assurance.
- Management and Mentoring: The Director of Technology is a multifaceted technology subject matter expert. As such, an ability to mentor team members regarding industry standards, technical and procedural best practices, and advanced technical knowledge and troubleshooting is required. All Technology Department personnel will report directly to the Director of Technology. In addition to managing and mentoring Technology team members, the Director of Technology will work directly with DNCC staff on technical and project management activities regarding ongoing and future projects.
- Collaboration and Leadership: The Director of Technology will work collaboratively with all DNCC’s Departments to ensure that all Convention staff, volunteers, delegates and participants’ technological needs are met, and will making recommendations to the Senior Director of People & Operations regarding the Technology departments plans, progress, and resources. needs are met.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent professional experience.
- Professional experience:
- 7+ years of information technology experience.
- 3+ years of information technology technical team management of 5 or more technicians.
- 3+ years of technical project management.
- Platforms, environments, and tools preferred:
- Cloud hosting and virtualization environments, both private and public (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Cloud services environments (G Suite, Office 365, etc.)
- Enterprise deployments and management of:
- Microsoft and Google products and services, including servers, computers, software suites, enterprise applications, and licensing
- Cisco and Ubiquiti networking devices
- VOIP deployments from hosted providers as well as on-premise servers
- Identity, password, and security management software and services (Okta, LastPass, 1Password, Dashlane, etc.).
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- The DNCC will mainly operate out of the Headquarters Office, but will also maintain a number of satellite offices and additional venues. All of these spaces are professional office environments and will require the operation of office equipment such as computers and phones,. This position mainly uses an assigned workstation but may require movement or maintaining a stationary position for short or long periods of time and walking for both short and long periods of time. Employees may be asked to do tasks requiring dexterity or lifting items weighing up to 15 lbs. All employees may request reasonable accommodations to perform their job tasks.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: As soon as possible.
JOB LOCATION: Chicago, IL
TRAVEL: This job will require some travel, less than 10%.
FLSA ELIGIBILITY: This is an exempt position under the FLSA.
BENEFITS: The DNCC offers a benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, and disability and life insurance.
HOW TO APPLY: Please go to https://www.demconvention.com/jobs to apply through the portal.