Deputy Chief Operating Officer
Democratic National Committee
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2023
The Deputy Chief Operating Officer (Deputy COO) provides support to and partners with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) in the execution and management of all hands-on operational aspects and day-to-day functions of the Committee.
What you will do: Responsibilities
- Assist the COO in providing overall operational leadership of the Committee in formulating and achieving objectives in areas such as human resources, staff and building security, travel, risk management, litigation, contracting, diversity equity and inclusion (“DEI”), state support for state coordinated campaigns, events, asset-tracking;
- Collaborate with the COO on matters involving legal, compliance and insurance activities;
- Provide counsel to the COO on significant matters affecting internal and external operations and policies, including major organizational events;
- Support the COO in spearheading the development, recommendation, implementation, and communication of new or revised systems, policies, and procedures;
- Collaborate with the COO in developing and implementing short-range and long-range goals and business plans, along with measures of effectiveness, ensuring proper internal controls and procedures;
- Represent the COO and the DNC, as designated, in meetings before DNC, community and business group meetings;
- In cooperation with the COO, build and maintain relationships with external partners and stakeholders, as appropriate;
- Provide direct support to and monitor activities of assigned departments to ensure conformance with goals and objectives of reporting unit and eliminate impediments to peak performance;
- Assist in the management of Operations Facility Management teams;
- Assist in the maintenance, support and promotion of a safe work environment while complying with all of the DNC’s safety rules, policies, and procedures; and
- Handle other duties and special projects as assigned.
A successful candidate will: Qualifications
- Have a passion for and commitment to the DNC mission
- Have a minimum of a BA, ideally with JD
- Present strong operational experience: ideally has worked in operational management for a socially responsible organization for 4+ years and have some experience working in political organizations
- Display experience in or ability to handle matters of organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Enjoy a fast paced working environment, adapt quickly to shifting goals, and understand the sense of urgency
- Be a self-motivator with a proactive approach to traditional and unexpected assignments.
- Work well independently and have a collaborative approach to projects
- Demonstrate a proven ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Have excellent analytical aptitude and a passion for improving organizational processes.
- Show a demonstrated ability to handle confidential information appropriately
- Bring strong interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence, with the ability to work effectively with employees at all levels
- Operate as a team player with the mindset that it is important to offer help to team members on pressing priority projects
- Approach tasks and requests using a solutions-oriented framework.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills; thoroughness, timeliness, and attention to detail.
- Be flexible and recognize that winning campaigns often means working outside of traditional office hours
- Work well under pressure and handle stress with a sense of humor and grace.
Preferred but not required (any one of the items below would be an asset to a successful candidate in this role):
- Experience in FEC Compliance
- Juris Doctorate
- At least 2 years in managing human resources
- Experience in physical security planning
- Experience in insurance/risk management
This position requires in-person work and is located in the DNC Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should 1) showcase your interest in this position and vision for this position; 2) share your unique skill sets and qualifications; and 3) highlight the requirements listed above. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
The starting salary for the Deputy Chief Operating Officer position is $150,000, on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Deputy Chief Operating Officer position will require travel, which could be up to 15% of the time. This is a full-time, exempt position that has an end date for November 15, 2024 and may require work on weekends.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, open leave, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 5% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.