Democratic National Committee
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 4, 2024
The Press Assistant is a critical part of the DNC Communications team and executes some of the most important functions of the department, including ensuring coordination across the entire team. The individual in this role will work closely with the Communications Director and other senior staff to assist in handling essential workflows within the department, including tracking and managing administrative needs across the communications team. Applicants should have an exceptional eye for detail, solid command of writing, an understanding of AP style, a strong ability to multitask, and enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced environment.
- Work in close coordination with the communications team;
- Support the Communications department in the execution of special projects within and across departments;
- Assist the Communications team with administrative duties;
- Support department leadership in preparing materials;
- Manage the schedule for the Communications Director;
- Facilitate the organizing of departmental and interdepartmental meetings;
- Manage the circulation of memos and other products, including contributing content and ensuring proper approvals;
- Track the distribution process and quality of written communications materials every day, from drafting to delivery;
- Manage and update the DNC’s press lists;
- Supervise the department’s intern(s), from hiring to day-to-day supervision;
- Monitor news events throughout the day, and compile and produce morning press clips;
- Other duties as assigned to support the department and the DNC's mission.
- Dedication to core Democratic values;
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once;
- An ability and desire to keep up with the news cycle;
- Proven interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills with the ability to build strong relationships with staff members at all levels;
- Commitment to promoting and investing in cross-cultural skills and awareness;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills across multiple media; and
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment and a positive attitude.
The starting salary for the Press Assistant position is $51,000, on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is eligible for overtime wages and is in the bargaining unit represented by SEIU local-500.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, open leave, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 5% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.