Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Manager
Democratic National Committee
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
We believe that the movement to ensure representation of Democrats up and down the ballot will succeed if it is diverse, inclusive, and equitable in every respect. The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) team, operating through courage, growth, and responsibility, leads the charge in building a culture that centers DEI, celebrates and values the credibility and perspectives of those who have been historically and systematically marginalized, and establishes processes which lay the foundation for the rest of the Committee and party as a whole.
Reporting to and collaborating closely with the Counsel and Director of DEI, the DEI Manager position supports the vision and implementation of DEI initiatives in alignment with the team’s strategic plan. The DEI Manager must possess the ability to take initiative, work with team members and stakeholders at all levels, and utilize and develop a variety of skills, including but not limited to program management, facilitation, event coordination, and communications. The DEI Manager will supervise the DEI team’s intern(s).
To apply: please submit a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should 1) showcase your interest in and vision for this position; and 2) share your unique skill sets and qualifications. We welcome candidates from a variety of backgrounds and especially encourage those who identify with historically underrepresented groups to apply.
- Collaborate with the Counsel and Director of DEI to design and implement the team’s strategic plan;
- Work across departments to carry out DEI initiatives, including Affinity Spaces, internal programming for heritage months, staff wellbeing plans and other programmatic initiatives;
- Establish processes and resources to hire staff that represent the diversity within our party and country and encourage partnership with diverse vendors;
- Work cross-departmentally with hiring managers tailoring initiatives and hiring processes;
- Facilitate and support in facilitating DEI workshops for internal DNC staff and partners;
- Draft communications materials which communicate the DEI team’s activities to all staff;
- Represent the DEI team at external events, as necessary;
- Measure, track and analyze DE&I performance and communicate outcomes;
- Build and maintain systems to track, measure, and report on diversity initiatives and programs;
- Oversees special projects at the discretion of the Counsel and Director of DEI;
- Other duties as assigned to support the department and the DNC's mission.
Qualifications (“Must Haves”)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in centering diversity, equity, and inclusion within organizational contexts;
- Ability to collaborate across teams to facilitate and foster communication and involvement;
- Commitment to utilizing and developing a variety of skills including but not limited to program management, event coordination, and communications;
- Experience and/or interest in facilitating trainings/workshops or speaking to large groups, both in person or virtually;
- Ability to remain adaptive in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects at a given time;
- Active listening skills and a high regard for confidentiality;
- Attention to detail and a desire to develop data-driven solutions;
- Keen communication skills, cultural awareness and sensitivity to interact, collaborate, establish and maintain rapport with staff and partners.
The DEI Manager position will require travel, which could be up to 15% of the time. This includes travel both in the Washington, D.C. area and across the country to attend and support meetings and events.
The starting salary for the DEI Manager position is $65,000 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a full-time, exempt position, that may require work on weekends. This position is in the bargaining unit represented by SEIU Local-500.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, open leave, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 5% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.