Democratic National Committee
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Research is the messaging and strategy backbone of campaigns. We scour public records, campaign finance reports, articles, interviews, books, legislation, and more to gain a deep understanding of the topics and candidates we research.
We look for applicants who have a great political sense and knowledge of politicians, political parties, outside groups, and the legislative process. The ideal candidate should possess a basic understanding of the political climate and major policy issues, and have strong research and writing skills.
If you’re interested in helping us relentlessly dig for the truth - come join us!
- Quickly read, analyze and format news clips, legislative voting histories, campaign finance data,corporate filings, public government records, legal records and related items;
- Develop succinct research documents for rapid response and communications staff that can be used to generate public-facing content;
- Monitor and extract key points from local and national news;
- Simplify very complex issues into factual and concise narratives; and,
- Other duties as assigned to support the department and the DNC's mission
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Strong attention to detail and strong organizational skills;
- Ability to take direction, ask questions and quickly learn new tasks and databases;
- Self-motivated with the ability to meet strict deadlines; and,
- Creative thinking and desire to explore new avenues.
- Ability to keep up with the 24 hour news cycle;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Political training or background to understand and explain significance of events and findings;
- Specific knowledge of Nexis, campaign finance databases, federal and state-level vote analysis, statistical data gathering, and primary source materials a plus; and,
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred and political research, campaign, or government experience is a plus.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The starting salary for the Research Associate position is $51,000, on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is eligible for overtime wages and is in the bargaining unit represented by SEIU local-500 and has an end date of November 15, 2024.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
The DNC requires all employees to be "up to date" on COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the CDC as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
The DNC does not sponsor work authorization. You must have authorization to work in the United States to qualify for this position.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, vacation, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 4% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.