Senior Research Associate
Democratic National Committee
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Research is the messaging and strategy backbone of campaigns. We scour public records, campaign finance reports, articles, interviews, books, legislation, and more to gain a deep understanding of the topics and candidates we research.
Our Senior Research Associates play a key role in executing research plans, performing advanced tasks, translating research into communications and digital-ready material, and helping build and maintain research books. Senior Research Associates dig into candidate records, voting histories, campaign finance reports, business filings and other resources to help inform voters about our opponents and frame the party’s messaging.
We look for applicants with experience in research on political campaigns or at political committees, strong command of key research tools and processes, and the ability to formulate clear and concise narratives and arguments in writing.
If you’re interested in helping us relentlessly dig for the truth - come join us!
- Thoroughly gather, analyze and utilize information from a variety of sources;
- Develop succinct research documents for rapid response and communications staff that can be used to generate public-facing content;
- Identify opportunities for deeper research and focus, think creatively and develop ideas for research products and projects;
- Monitor and extract key points from local and national news and simplify very complex issues into factual and concise narratives; and,
- Perform additional specific research responsibilities, as directed
- Ability to use common political research tools and resources, including public records requests, campaign finance reports, personal financial disclosures, legal records, policy and legislation, ad tracking, and LexisNexis;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including an eagle eye for typos and errors;
- Strict attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills; and,
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred;
- Minimum one full cycle of experience in political research on a campaign or committee, or experience in research in a closely related field;
- Political knowledge and background to understand and explain significance of events and findings;
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel; and,
- Specific knowledge of Nexis, campaign finance databases, federal and state-level vote analysis, statistical data gathering, and primary source materials.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The starting salary for the Senior Research Associate position is $50,000, on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is not eligible for overtime wages and is in the bargaining unit represented by SEIU Local-500 and has an end date of November 15, 2024.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
The DNC requires all employees to be "up to date" on COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the CDC as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, vacation, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 4% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.
See more open positions at Democratic National Committee
Something looks off?