Partnership Operations Associate
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a teacher in need, moving us closer to a nation where students in every community have the tools and experiences they need for a great education.
Since 2000, more than 5 million people and partners have contributed $1 billion to support 2 million teacher requests for classroom resources and experiences. Projects range from art supplies to build the set for a school musical, to books and puzzles that affirm students’ identities, to bird seed for an at-home science project. We proudly serve all US public schools, public charter schools, and Head Start centers, and we combat systemic inequity by driving a majority of donations to schools that have been historically underfunded due to economic and racial inequity.
DonorsChoose has been recognized as a best place to work by GOOD Magazine and the Nonprofit Times, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our dedicated team works from across the United States to bring classroom dreams to life.
About the Team
Our Partnerships Teams will raise more than $54M for public school classrooms through creative, collaborative partnerships with our corporate and foundation partnerships this school year. The Partnership Operations Team sits on our Activation Team, and ensures a seamless experience for our internal and external stakeholders by bringing the standard elements of partnerships to life, building systems that scale and improve on our partner offerings, and advocating for partner needs.
About the Role
In this role, you’ll gain a nuanced understanding of the processes and technical aspects of our partnership products that power our partnerships’ success. You’ll work closely with our highly collaborative Partnership Operations team, our full Activation team and our Partnerships colleagues to understand our partner’s business goals, lean into our standard processes to meet them, and leverage your understanding of those goals as you creatively center our colleagues’ and their partners’ continued experience in their work with our org. In this role, you get to be curious, make connections and develop high-impact solutions, navigate immediate challenges, and ideate on areas of improvement for the future scalability of our partnerships.
Activate our partnerships:
- Set up and launch our partnership products (ex. match offers, promo codes, gift cards and project funding initiatives) and create impact reports for our partners.
- How this might look: Becoming cross-trained on our processes, relying on a standard handoff-process between the Partnership Managers and our team, to receive the details necessary to launch a partnership. These processes rely on a data-informed standard turnaround time that creates shared expectations with our Partnership colleagues, allowing us to consistently set-up, test, and launch our standard products, as well as creating the capacity to be flexible, nimble, and responsive to meet partnership goals when needed.
- Support and consult with internal stakeholders on partnership product/process related questions, challenges and requests.
- Take the operational steps that will meet partnership commitments that may fall outside of our typical standard products (ex. special reports and metrics to share partner impact, special sponsorship benefit execution).
Scale the implementation methods of our partnership operations and continue to deliver the best experience to internal and external stakeholders:
- Improve our standard processes to reduce manual work, surface tension-points with our products, and provide a great user-experience
- Outline Standard Work Instructions for the steps required to implement our products. Manage and update documentation as we continue to revise our processes.
- How this might look: Creating or updating our core documentation as we gain new learnings and fresh perspectives, and improve the language of existing documents. Our core documents are effective training and reference tools that provide a blueprint for task success to allow for expeditious cross-training, and flexibility through capacity.
- Collaborate with your teammates on how we can leverage our current tools and find new tools to automate and create systems to streamline our workflows.
Advocate for partnerships by centering the user-experience and/or operations expertise to best meet our internal and external goals:
- Create internal communication tools to clearly transition the details to support partnership goals.
- How this might look: Noticing a point of friction our Partnership colleagues are facing as they share information with our team through Salesforce that causes us to not get complete information needed for a launch. Then, take that issue-area to think through a suggested solution that you present to address the issue now, and in the future.
- Manage processes for communications across teams to show full details of a partnership or campaigns.
- Manage special projects that support the goals of the Partnerships teams.
This position might be for you if:
- You're thorough, detail-oriented and diligent when it comes to following a process.
- You enjoy connecting with and are curious about people, and you constantly think about how to improve their experience with each of your interactions.
- You are tech-savvy and you quickly pick-up new apps/tools. (Often excitedly bringing them into your daily life).
- You are comfortable in detailed conversations with UX folks and/or developers.
- You are a planner who budgets your time. Your project management skills are top-notch and you enjoy having a deadline to help you back-plan, parsing out specific steps as you create a plan to meet your clearly defined goal.
- You can point to a clear approach to manage the various time commitments and goals in your life, taking proactive steps to make sure you’re not in a bind.
- You love to think of ways to make a process easier and more user friendly. (In fact, hiccups in a process and disorganization inspire you to evaluate, organize and streamline).
- When faced with challenges, you get excited, curious and want to take action. So much so that you thrive in a fast-paced, goal-driven environment where your knowledge can be applied with greater frequency and depth.
- You love analyzing data and picking out trends. You often cite data when you're telling stories.
Hiring Process Outline
We are aiming for a start date of July 5th, 2023. Every application is reviewed by a member of our team and we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis. To help you prepare for our hiring process, here's an outline of what you can expect:
- Assignment - Our assignments are designed with two goals in mind: 1) to help us assess a candidate's fit for a role, and 2) to give candidates insight into the type of skills they’ll be expected to flex on the job. Our recruiting software helps us review submissions anonymously to reduce bias in our process.
- Phone Screen - A chance to connect with our hiring manager to discuss your interest in the role and any questions you may have. The anticipated duration is about 20-30 minutes.
- Interviews - A chance for you to meet with your potential future teams. These will take place virtually and the anticipated duration is about 2 hours.
Compensation and Benefits
Our compensation philosophy ensures that we are both externally competitive with tech-forward nonprofits of a similar size and internally fair in our pay practices. The following ranges represent the target offer range given the scope and experience expectations for this role.
- The hiring salary range for this role is $43,000 - $52,000.
- We have a hiring salary range of $49,000 - $58,000 for specific higher cost of labor locations, which include New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
Once employees are hired, the salary range for their role increases to ensure that employees are able to receive performance-based raises and grow in their role.
We are open to a variety of experiences, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced or more senior than this job description as posted. If that’s the case, an updated salary range will be shared with candidates if they move forward in our hiring process.
In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Hybrid Workplace and Other Details
In this role, you’ll have the option to work a flexible hybrid schedule in our NYC office, or to work fully remotely from CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TX, or WI.
Candidates who are not in the NYC area should expect to travel to our NYC office on as-needed basis, about 4-6 times per year. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the organization and proper safety precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Dorthea Damaskos, Senior Manager, Partnership Operations.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.
Something looks off?